TravelTalkOnline

Booking a Villa

Posted By: RICKDEB

Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 08:11 PM

Has anyone use Homeway, VRBO, or Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes to book a villa? any problems? Any issues doing wire transfers for deposits?
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 08:13 PM

We've used VRBO and didn't have any problems. We didn't do a wire transfer, just sent a check.
Posted By: Computerwise

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 09:07 PM

NEVER use wire transfer, you will not be covered by VRBO/HomeAway. Use a CC or any of their accepted payment methods. Read the websites protection policy..
Posted By: ewr2sxm

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 09:15 PM

We have been using Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes for all our rentals for almost 20 years. We pay with Visa.
Posted By: dane

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 09:42 PM

Homeaway/VRBO only cover up to $1000 if travelers pay through the site with a Credit Card or echeck. The sites offer travelers the opportunity to buy additional insurance to cover costs.

It seems more common for French Side properties/agencies to request wire transfers.

Homeaway charges a commission to owners for each payment that goes through its site, as do the credit card companies via Paypal or other payment agents. I personally offer guests an additional discount if I save that commission when they pay by check or wire transfer. Most prefer to pay by check as a result. Granted, many of them are repeat guests, but new renters do this as well.

IMO a prospective renter's best course of action is to read reviews on the sites. Properties with a number of positive reviews and a substantial history of listing on VRBO/Homeaway are more likely to be legitimate. After all, it is tough to generate a dozen or more sham reviews over a lengthy period of time. In addition, if an owner is engaging in dicey business practices, they will have their listing dropped by Homeaway/VRBO after multiple complaints.
Posted By: jborosara

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 09:57 PM

I admit to getting scammed out of about 900 bucks - realized it too late to get our deposit back but very pleased with our replacement.... Never again with a wire transfer - I have some protection with paypal/credit card
Posted By: NJHarry

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 10:02 PM

We booked our villa's for many years thru an agent in the US, although Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes was the master property manager. I'm not a fan of Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes and use the agent to help us. My experiences with Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes directly have not been good. The agent has been very helpful and has some leverage with Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes.
Posted By: NJHarry

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 10:12 PM

Sorry, Rick I didn't answer the second part. I would also recommend against wire transfer. Use a credit card, which gives you some ability to dispute if needed.
Posted By: hottubdiva

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 11:28 PM

We contact the owner of the villa we rent through VRBO for the price. Once we have negotiated that with the owner he notifies Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes and they handle the payment and paperwork. We pay with credit card. Finding a villa you like and returning there multiple times seems to have encouraged the owner of our villa an incentive to add in a free dinner and extra maid insurance.
Posted By: JohnB

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 11:41 PM

We have used Sprimbarth Cap Caraibes direct for about 7 years. Never had a problem and pay with a credit card.
Posted By: gd1147

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/26/2015 11:54 PM

We have used VRBO for multiple properties in multiple islands. Two have been check and one via CC. Never had an issue.

That being said I feel lucky that we have found good owners. I always research the heck out of things and cross reference reviews from VRBO to Tripadvisor to make sure its not a scam.
Posted By: biglar

Re: Booking a Villa - 01/27/2015 12:31 AM

We also have used Sprimbarth for the past 10 years and use my Visa card. We have used VBRO for a beautiful place on Barbados and wire transfered money to England for the rental. Had no problem.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline