TravelTalkOnline

Day sail suggestions

Posted By: ZekeB

Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 02:47 PM

This is my first post after lots of lurking in the background. You all are a huge help getting us familiar with SXM. Keep doing what you do! We just returned from our 5th week in 4 years and are planning the next week, possibly this summer. I have been telling myself to try to write a report, but it would tell of a couple great dinners and lots of OB sand gravity!
We hope to bring another couple with us who have never been anywhere in the Caribbean. One thought is a day sail, maybe around island, preferably a mono, not a cat. Suggestions?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 02:59 PM

Passaat is a beautiful schooner that offers several sailing options, although none is all the way around the island. Their all day trip leaves includes a lot of sailing, a stop for swimming and lunch, and more sailing. They limit their number of passengers which makes for a very nice day.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 05:29 PM

I second the recommendation for the Passaat. It's a simply lovely experience: nothing but the sound of the ocean and the sails flapping in the wind. Good food. Even though she's a big boat, the setting is quite intimate. You won't be sorry if you do this.

Passaat
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 05:35 PM

Like others have said, it is not around the island but the Passaat lunch sail is a nice option. Getting ready to do it for a 3rd time in about a month.

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 05:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. We have enjoyed the Celine on Simpson Bay and Lambada(?) to Anguila, but wanted to experience some more traditional sailing.
Posted By: joyfully

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 10:00 PM

We are going to ride on the Random Wind (http://www.randomwind.com/) next week. Have not been on it before, looks like fun!
Posted By: Ritchard

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 10:52 PM

I went on Random Wind a few years ago. Really great people, really good time.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/09/2015 10:55 PM

We've done Random Wind as well, and it was also very enjoyable. I prefer Passaat, and that says a lot, since I was sick the entire day we were on the boat! Not sure if I had a bug or got seasick for the first time in my life; but I do suggest taking motion sickness medication before you sail. The swells in the Caribbean can be quite "rolly".

Re: Day sail suggestions - 02/10/2015 12:44 PM

Two good suggestions; I will look for comments on this year's trips on Passaat and Random. Thanks to the SXM veterans here for your insights. Now to finalize the date and start the countdown clock.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline