TravelTalkOnline

cheapest flight routes to SXM

Posted By: autoeng

cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 01:52 AM

I'll be flying to SXM from either Cincinnati, OH or Lexington, KY. For either direct it looks like the route is Charlotte > Miami > SXM. Are there any cheaper options? I was surprised to find cost from CVG or LEX > MIA > SXM is more than having the Charlotte layover.

Thanks for any advice.
Posted By: 4Driver4

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 01:53 AM

Can't you fly direct from Charlotte? Might be a false economy going through MIA.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 03:34 AM

We just drove north to Toronto last month for $320 round trip via Charlotte. Cvg and day wanted $960. Nice little 7 hour drive in warm months to save $1300.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 11:50 AM

Pretty sure Cincinnati is a Delta hub. The best connection from there would probably be through Atlanta on Delta. As far as cheapest, forget that. Anywhere in the Midwest is NOT going to be cheap. Depending on season, a GOOD price is probably going to be $700 round trip. (By the way, not that it really matters, but the airport for Cincinnati, I'm pretty sure is actually in Kentucky...) You should be able also to have a non stop to either Charlotte or Miami and non stop to SXM from there, on AA. If it's in the winter, better to connect through Miami, if you have a choice, versus having to connect in Charlotte. And NO, no way would I personally make TWO stops. It's just asking for trouble. The more stops you make, the multiplier of the possibilities for things to go wrong go up exponentially. Not worth it!

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 01:10 PM

Thanks all. Yes Cincy is actually in Covington KY (CVG).

Doubt I'll drive to Toronto on my wedding night.

I did find direct from Charlotte to SXM.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/08/2016 11:14 PM

A little google maps and charlotte is actually a little longer drive than toronto. Honeymoon, don't make it hard. We were delta zombies but last two trips on aa have been smooth and easy thru mia and clt.
Posted By: CMHToddandTony

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/10/2016 04:47 PM

It's been many years since CVG could be considered a hub(however Delta still calls it one due to it's lease agreement that is soon to expire). Since the merger of Delta and Northwest, Delta has turned this airport into all but a ghost town with two of three terminals totally closed. It's a sad situation and a far cry from the once bustling place it was in the late 90s.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/10/2016 05:47 PM

OK, sorry to hear that, for Cincinnati's sake.
Posted By: jborosara

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/12/2016 04:59 PM

Same thing happened to us in Memphis - I used to could fly almost anywhere non-stop - now a stop in Atlanta is required - why Delta maintains hubs in both MSP and Detroit I will never understand...

Having said that, we have had terrific luck with American Airlines through CLT - about half the price of Delta and good schedules (though not perfect - nine hour layover in MIA last year) - we used to be all Delta all the time - but AA has our attention now
Posted By: hottubdiva

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/12/2016 10:05 PM

My two cents.... We fly from Kansas City, and like many Midwest cities you can't get there from here (easily). The first two years we booked the Delta through Atlanta route and tried to fly all in one day. After losing a day of vacation due to weather and a missed connection in Atlanta, we now fly one evening to Charlotte, spend the night in a cheapie hotel near the airport, and catch the nonstop flight to SXM out of Charlotte the next day. When we are on our way home we just try to do all the travel in one day and if we miss the connection we've just extended our vacation by a day.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/13/2016 07:49 PM

There are no direct flights from New Orleans to SXM, most AA goes through Miami. Some airlines had flights through Chicago from New Orleans. Makes no sense. Fly all the way to Chicago, then connect and fly to SXM ?? CLT was avail, but WHY NO DIRECT FLIGHTS FROM NO (MSY) !!

Re: cheapest flight routes to SXM - 07/18/2016 04:05 PM

What is a good price ticket to shoot for? Lowest I've seen has been about $700 each connecting through CLT.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline