TravelTalkOnline

Grand Case

Posted By: cincin

Grand Case - 11/16/2016 06:41 PM

It's been a few years since I've been to Grand Case and I am currently planning a return trip, but I want to know if it is still a safe place to go. I know that crime has risen some on the island, and I have my fingers crossed that GC is still as wonderful as always. I guess I'm looking for reassurance.
Posted By: davew

Re: Grand Case - 11/16/2016 07:08 PM

Yes, it is safe. Now if you wear flashy jewelry..... As long as you take reasonable precautions. At night walking on the street is probably more of a danger than anything else.
Posted By: jamiegarrett761

Re: Grand Case - 11/16/2016 07:14 PM

It is safe as long as you use reasonable precaution just like you would visiting any city or town in the world. If you're planning on staying "off the beaten path" (like at Grand Case Beach Club or the other end like Le Petit), there is now a golf cart "taxi" to take you to and from the restaurants if you either feel unsafe or just don't feel like walking. It seems that the problem that they were having a few years ago in Grand Case with the young guys riding mopeds up and down the streets (which was the scariest thing I ever encountered) has been curtailed and the restaurant association has done a lot to try to make the village feel (and be) safer.
Posted By: cincin

Re: Grand Case - 11/16/2016 07:25 PM

Thank you! Am strongly considering Le Petit and was just curious about the security of the hotel itself and the walk to the restaurants. Over thinking things probably...
Posted By: jamiegarrett761

Re: Grand Case - 11/16/2016 08:31 PM

The hotel has a security staff but I would ask for an upper level room, if available, just in case. From that location, you're perfectly safe to walk the beach or streets during daylight but I wouldn't walk at night. At any of the restaurants, you can ask for the taxi golf cart (I believe his name is Johnny) and he will come take you home. $3 per person and well worth it. The road leading down to Le Petit is very dark and, although it is a dead end street, I would worry about passing cars.
Posted By: TravelHat

Re: Grand Case - 11/17/2016 01:52 AM

cincin said:
Thank you! Am strongly considering Le Petit and was just curious about the security of the hotel itself and the walk to the restaurants. Over thinking things probably...

Great hotel, look at Blue Emarude as well.
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: Grand Case - 11/17/2016 02:49 PM

Email the hotel and ask about the security. Several years ago the merchants hired private security in addition to Gendarmes and municipal police.
Posted By: january

Re: Grand Case - 11/20/2016 01:24 AM

According to the Daily Herald, statistics released by the French side government report that armed robberies are down about 50% in 2016 against 2015.
Posted By: dawnbeachette

Re: Grand Case - 11/22/2016 01:26 AM

La Petit Hotel is right on the main road, not on a dead end street!
Posted By: shieneehead

Re: Grand Case - 11/22/2016 04:36 PM

GCBC is at the dead end side.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline