TravelTalkOnline

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM

Posted By: ILoveSXM

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 09:46 PM

We have friends joining us in SXM and they live near Punta Gorda, Florida. Could any SXM travelers from this area of Florida tell me if there are any direct flights to SXM. Can you fly out of Fort Myers or would you need to travel to Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 09:58 PM

Hah. Sorry, Florida is one of the WORST places to get a non stop flight from on the East Coast. There are nonstop flights from Miami on AA, and on Spirit from Ft. Lauderdale (weekends only). That's it for non stop flights. AA flights nonstop from Miami are outrageous. For June this year, AA wants SIX HUNDRED FIFTY dollars for their non-stops. If you book a connecting flight, which goes THROUGH Miami or Charlotte, it's always cheaper. I myself just booked a trip from Tampa to SXM, flying to CHARLOTTE and back down, then through Miami on the way home. $407 roundtrip
Posted By: OhDrinkBoy

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 10:13 PM

LOL Carol. This just shows how screwy airline prices are. My direct flights out of CLT this spring and summer were about 740 each. We get hosed flying out of CLT. Use CLT as a connection and the price drops significantly.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 10:36 PM

Son joined us from Tampa and he had to fly to Miami then to SXM. He could have driven to Miami night before to get the early direct flight but he didn't. And he said he used Spirit and would never again. Hated the whole experience.

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 11:30 PM

We actually normally drive to Miami for the nonstop. However, we had to buy one ticket and the difference in price between booking Miami-SXM versus Tampa-Charlotte-SEM and SXM-Miami-Tampa was $250 MORE {per person} to book just Miami-SXM and return.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/09/2017 11:50 PM

That's crazy!

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/10/2017 01:02 AM

SOP from Florida. Florida is not a great place to fly from to SXM. I keep hoping for more choices.
Posted By: JeanneJOE

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/14/2017 10:44 PM

CAROL, What about flying to SanJuan from Fort Myers or Lauderdale then grabbing a flight to SXM. Any luck that way.

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/14/2017 10:48 PM

Flights from SJU to SXM are WAY expensive, plus being on a whole different ticket. Not really an option.
Posted By: smartin

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/16/2017 04:03 PM

I have booked FROM SXM to RSW (Ft Myers) and got a good rate and decent connection via Atlanta and Delta airlines.
Well worth checking...and at about $380R/T, much cheaper than AA just to Miami...which came in at nearly $600 (for late January, early February)

Re: Flying from West Coast Florida to SXM - 01/16/2017 04:31 PM

Connecting flights are almost always cheaper, much cheaper, than the nonstop AA flights from Miami. As I already said here, $250 cheaper for me to fly from Tampa and connect, than to take the nonstop from Miami in June..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline