TravelTalkOnline

Do I need an umbrella?

Posted By: kabs996

Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 12:45 AM

Is it worth having an umbrella for the beaches? Is it too windy most days to use them? Was going to rent one from pack light but if I won't be able to use it much what's the point.

Thanks
Posted By: bluejacket

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 01:07 AM

We usually just rent a couple of loungers and umbrella at whatever beach we visit.
I know there are beaches where that service is not available, but we don't go to those.
So for us it's not worth lugging around an umbrella. We don't usually pack a lunch or drinks either--we opt instead to find something at one of the beach places.

It's super windy around Christmas, but have only had to fold up the umbrella once in dozen trips.

Also, consider the cost. It'll be between $15 and $20 to rent 2 chairs and an umbrella for the day. We pay $20 at club O--You can get a 7 day pass for $120.
There are also some establishments that throw in a couple of drinks with that too.
Posted By: RICKnGRACE_LI_NY

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 01:23 AM

Some establishments will not charge you for the chairs and umbrella if you have lunch and a couple of beverages.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 01:25 PM

It depends on you. I personally NEED an umbrella. Neither of us can take much sun any more. As far as renting from Craig, his umbrellas are pretty sturdy and if you get it firmly anchored, you should be ok, except on the windiest days. To me, I get one to use at Beachside Villas, because they don't provide umbrellas, but no way I would bother to lug it to another beach. If we go to another beach, we just rent chairs and umbrellas there. Usually it runs about $20 for 2 chairs and an umbrella for the day at most beaches, versus $20 or so for a WEEK from Craig. And I have to have a chair also, as I'm not comfortable sitting on sand. Be advised if you rent the chairs from Craig, that most of his chairs are 'sand' chairs, low to the ground, which don't work well for me. He does have a few regular chairs, I believe, so if you want one of those, you need to ask for it specifically. We always rent a cooler from him also, and we always request one with a FLAT top, so we can use it as a table at the beach..
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 05:08 PM

Rent from Craig!!!! if its windy there are ways to secure the umbrellas. we have been going to SXM for about 25 years and umbrellas are nice to have.

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 06:24 PM

Does Simpson Bay Resort and Divi have umbrellas for guests to use at their pool and beach?
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 06:52 PM

Divi definitely has umbrellas. I can't speak to Simpson Bay.

Re: Do I need an umbrella? - 07/08/2017 08:45 PM

Thank you!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline