TravelTalkOnline

For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin

Posted By: Rasputin

For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 01:09 PM

it seems that the only advise the U.S. Govt. has for U.S. citizens on the French-side is to get to the Dutch-Side airport (PJIA), and not to try to do so in the dark.

My additional comment to this is if someone can safely get to St. Barths by boat from the French-side, the following info from them may be of interest:

"For U.S. Citizens in St. Barthelemy: The St. Barthelemy airport is open and charter services are flying. Tradewind Aviation is flying several flights each day from St. Barth’s to Puerto Rico. Tradewind can be contacted at 800-376-7922 x123. These flights are not affiliated with the U.S. government."
Posted By: Philo

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 01:37 PM

Some place I read the French side airport is open

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 01:48 PM

I have not seen anything to make me think that is accurate,
but I am not on the ground there.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 02:20 PM

Grand Case Airport is open. There are flights to Pointe-a-Pitre. IF anyone is going there, you have have to enter from the road near the former Simply Market. There are also boats leaving Galisbay today (9/14/17) and going to Martinique and Guadeloupe.

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 02:31 PM

Good to know assuming it is accurate. Might not be the best option for evacuation for U.S. citizens, but an option.

FYI, I've been pretty much only posting things that have been verified by the U.S. State Department designed for U.S. citizens. Therefore other info may be incomplete.
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 02:54 PM

Information about evac from french-side. There may be more recent press release from Collectivitie but I did not see one in quick check.

https://www.sxm-talks.com/st-martin-news...n-daniel-gibbs/
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 03:08 PM

Thanks for posting the link. I could not remember where I read all of that information.

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/14/2017 03:44 PM

Best option right now may be this:

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/69...ation-on-friday

Re: For U.S. citizens on French-Side St. Martin - 09/16/2017 01:50 AM

From the other "evacuation" thread:

OK the latest, for tomorrow, Sept. 16th! from the U.S. State Dept. for U.S. Citizens:

"Dutch Sint Maarten:

Limited humanitarian and commercial airline evacuation flights continue to operate and provide evacuation services on a case by case basis. U.S. Citizens in need of assistance should email [email]IrmaEmergencyUSC@state.gov.[/email] If you are in need of urgent emergency assistance, call 1-888-407-4747 (from the United States and Canada), +1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries).

French Saint Martin

Please see information for Sint Maarten, above. Local authorities report the border crossing between Saint Martin (French side) and Sint Maarten (Dutch side) will be closed at night. U.S. citizens may be prevented from crossing into Sint Maarten at night."

I don't think that they will be issuing anymore "Sitreps" from this point forward. Without the airport really operational (IMO, but I won't explain here) there are not any easy answers for any US citizens left on island who want to be evacuated.

I hereby suggest to Mods that this thread be closed for now so it does not get diluted, but leave it pinned for a while. If there is anything new from State Dept. to post, I will notify Mods.

If anyone has any comments, please start a new thread.

+++++++++++++++++

Since I don't think there will be any relevant new information on this, I suggest to Mods that this thread also be locked but in addition that this thread be unpinned.

One can refer to the last page of the other thread that is currently pinned:
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/s...e=0&fpart=4
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline