TravelTalkOnline

Wheels up up & away

Posted By: jeepers

Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 04:08 PM

Our time here this trip has come to an end.
St maarten the friendly island! Is it ever! So many hugs from new people, islanders & new acquaintances!!
Two things to mention there are tons of butterflies here now & very few mosquitoes.
Cheers everyone!
Lynn & John heading home to Canada via Atlanta
Posted By: SeaStar

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 04:21 PM

Thanks for sharing your vacation with us.
thanks
Safe travels.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 05:02 PM

Jeepers last days in SXM

[Linked Image]

Rocio massage at club orient
[Linked Image]

Boutique at club orient near perch lite
[Linked Image]

Brown building washrooms other building storage container near perch lite.
[Linked Image]

Friars Bay Beach Café
[Linked Image]

Christmas décor in Marigot still up
[Linked Image]

Final sunset at Sunset
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MamaB

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 05:13 PM

Thank you for finding the time during vacation to inform us about our beloved island.
Posted By: pat

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 05:34 PM

I just want to tell you, I have enjoyed your trip immensely and thanks for all your firsthand information along with the lovely photos, completed with a little help from a friend.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 05:56 PM

Thanks for the reports and pictures.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 06:19 PM

Thanks Jeepers for sharing your trip with us and thanks so much to Beachkitten for sharing the photos!!!!
Posted By: islandgem

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 06:24 PM

Have a safe trip home! Thanks for sharing your SXM vacation with us and finding a way to post the pictures. It was so nice of Leona to aid in the picture posting. All very much appreciated.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 08:10 PM

It was lovely seeing your trip first had via pictures. Thanks for sharing and thanks to BeachKitten for posting.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 08:57 PM

All those butterflies must be escapees from the Butterfly Farm.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 09:46 PM

Really appreciate your bringing a touch of SXM to all of us. Weather may be a couple degrees cooler in Canada but think of the savings in sun screen.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 09:55 PM

Rondon--no, I doubt it. We have often been on SXM when there have been virtual clouds of butterflies on island. The butterfly farm wouldn't have enough butterflies to make any practical difference to the number of butterflies on island, plus the butterflies there would be rather unusual ones, versus the standard ones you see on island.
Posted By: rpotter28

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/28/2018 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by jeepers
Two things to mention there are tons of butterflies here now & very few mosquitoes.

Were they the small white ones? I remember some years there are lots of them in January, other years not so much.

Missed you guys, see you next January!
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 07:02 AM

Hope you arrived home safely! We also want to thank you for the wonderful reports and photos of our favorite island. And thanks to Beachkitten for helping. It did our hearts good to see those pics!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 11:06 AM

Tis the season for those lovely little butterflies, they are everywhere!

Enjoyed the reporting and the pictures

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 04:34 PM

That's correct Carol. They are the little white ones. Thousands of them. We saw one monarch butterfly & a parakeet landed on the balcony above ours, had a drink & some bread, a nap & flew away. The floral is back & palm trees with new green growth.
I enjoyed bringing the island to everyone. It's not all perfect but we know that. I wanted to bring the positive to the forefront for people to know they can come & it's not a ghost town!
I thanked BeachKitten by email for posting but I want to do it here as well. The pics are a visual.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 10:13 PM

You're welcome. Glad you had a great trip.

This was Jeepers experience leaving SXM:

"We travelled from sxm through Atlanta to Toronto. These were the luggage tags at sxm. Went straight through from sxm to Atlanta then on to departing delta plane going to Toronto. We did not have to claim the bag in Atlanta. Smooth operation!!
So proud of them!
We did take our carryons thru security at Atlanta. Easy peasy. People everywhere to direct you."

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pat

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 10:39 PM

Last year was the first time in all our many years and trips we ever saw those tiny white butterflies and it was the first time we ever went to the island in January. Someone down there told me they call them St. Maarten snowflakes, and they were everywhere.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 11:29 PM

The most interesting thing about those butterflies is that they're actually yellow. They do look white, and I always thought they were. Then one day I saw one close up, and it's actually the palest shade of yellow. Regardless, they're beautiful, and I always love to see them.
Posted By: irish1223

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/29/2018 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
The most interesting thing about those butterflies is that they're actually yellow. They do look white, and I always thought they were. Then one day I saw one close up, and it's actually the palest shade of yellow. Regardless, they're beautiful, and I always love to see them.

I always thought that too and started wondering if there were white AND yellow ones?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/30/2018 12:49 AM

Perhaps!
Posted By: pony600

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/30/2018 01:11 AM

Thanks for the trip reports! Why didn't you have to claim your bag & go through security? Is it because your final destination is not in the US?

Re: Wheels up up & away - 01/30/2018 01:39 AM

That is correct. We did take the carryon through customs in Atlanta though & were asked if we were bringing anything into the u.s.which we weren't.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline