TravelTalkOnline

June 2018 Trip Report #7

Posted By: Carol_Hill

June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/01/2018 06:30 PM

Sunday morning we started the day with a ham and cheese omelette

[Linked Image]

and watched the pretty unusual HUGE waves coming in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We hung around in the morning, and packed up most of our stuff for the sad event of going home tomorrow. Jeannie from Shop & Drop came by for a visit and we enjoyed a nice conversation.

We had not been to P'burg this trip and wanted to go on a day when there was at least one ship in. Not to do any shopping, but just because we didn't want it to be totally dead in town. We chose the route down past Belair and Divi and took the obligatory shot of the first view of the cruise ship in port

[Linked Image]

Although we knew it had been bulldozed, the view of Great Bay Beach Resort was kind of shocking

[Linked Image]

We wanted to eat at someplace a bit more upscale, so chose Antoine's, which we had not been to before.

They have a nice location on the boardwalk, to the right of the courthouse, as you're facing the water, with tables on the beach and a great view of the cruise ship pier.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I chose the beef tenderloin, with salad and scalloped potatoes, along with a nice beaujolis

[Linked Image]

OMG, the BEST thing on the place was the scalloped potatoes. I make some mean scalloped potatoes, but these were truly the best I have ever had. The beef, while a wonderful cut of meat, I had ordered medium rare and it was served medium well, so I had to send it back and they did re-do it. Eric ordered the seafood medley

[Linked Image]

We wanted the souffle for dessert, but we didn't think to pre-order it with our entre (which was our fault, although the waiter should have suggested it), so we had to settle for the apple tart, complemented with a grand marnier chaser.

[Linked Image]

It was good, but the souffle would have been better...

Since it was Sunday we were able to park right on the street, less than a block away from the restaurant. In the evening, they have free valet parking at Antoine's.

After eating, there just HAPPENED to be a kind of souveneir shop next door, where I picked up a couple of SXM coffee cups and a neat neckace with a pendant in the shape of a turtle. There are earrings to match, but they didn't make the picture, as they are sitting on my desk at the office at the moment! laugh

[Linked Image]

While I'm at it, I bought this necklace and earrings from a vendor on Mullet. He said they were abalone shell, probably plasic laugh, but I like the colors! Neither one was expensive at all, but I really enjoy buying somewhat unusual jewelry on island, that I can wear every day.

[Linked Image]

After lunch we headed back to Beachside to enjoy the rest of our last full day on island. It was kind of just the way it worked out, but we didn't spend nearly as much time watching planes this time as usual, but we did get the chance to enjoy the new plane viewing stand at BSV, with nice stairs, benches and places to sit drinks!! clapping

[Linked Image]

KLM is my favorite subject, and I did get some nice shots, but I miss the old 747!! cry

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Well, I guess I lied, my FAVORITE subject for pictures at BSV is the ocean..

[Linked Image]

...mostly from the comfort of the lovely living room, where we spend many hours.

[Linked Image]

Our final dinner was grilled chicken breasts, no picture, sorry.

Another lovely day, our last full one, on island.
Posted By: pat

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/01/2018 07:05 PM

With reference to Antoine’s, this used to be our-go to great meal on the Dutch side, and while it’s changed hands within the last year and a half, the former owners assured us their signature recipes would remain with the restaurant. One of those was the potatoes which you mentioned, and the other, which sadly, you didn’t get to try, was the Grand Mariner Soufflé. So if the potatoes were still delish, gives us hope on the soufflé, too.

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/01/2018 07:43 PM

Those potatoes were AMAZING. I wish we had been able to enjoy the soufflé also..
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/01/2018 08:49 PM

A330 Airbus is a good airplane, but no 747. I literally tear up watching the last takeoff video.
But just being on the runway is cool.
Were looking forward to staying in the neighborhood at Marys Boon.

Thanks for the report.

What can you say about the beach between BSV and Karacter, is it a no mans land of nobody or is it heavily walked between the properties?

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/01/2018 10:22 PM

Pelican--there is not a lot of traffic on the beach between BSV and Karakter. It's probably about a quarter mile, so it's not a real casual walk.
Posted By: fabila

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 03:44 AM

Thanks for all the great photos and details.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 03:57 AM

Thanks Carol. Great report and pictures as usual. I am dreaming of that view again!
Posted By: RI Bob C

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 12:51 PM

Walking between BSV and Mary's Boon is a great exercise if that's what you are looking for. It takes me about 20 minutes each way and you may meet a few people but it is very quiet.

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 01:06 PM

Elizabeth--thanks! I hope you are able to enjoy SXM again soon. It has been too long..
Posted By: irish1223

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:10 PM

Wonderful report and pictures, Carol! Wish we had gotten a chance to meet up while on island -- looks like we were there some of the same time. You sure managed to get a lot of good shots.

We will be staying at BSV when we return to the island in late November.

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:37 PM

Yes, guess we were on island at the same time. You should have just come by! laugh I'm envious that you are going back again this year and staying at Beachside! Enjoy!

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:45 PM

Thanks! Can't wait.........

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:48 PM

We stayed at BSV about 10 years ago, but I'm an admittedly spoiled 'I must have air conditioning' person, boohoo and at the time they only had it in the bedrooms. Very thrilled now that they have it throughout the unit. clapping

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:48 PM

We're hoping to go two times next year.

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/02/2018 09:49 PM

Woo hoo! Love those twice yearly trips, when we can do them.
Posted By: Sherrie

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/04/2018 07:36 PM

Great report Carol! We will be at BSV in October so it's great to hear things are still amazing. Is Marvlyn still there?

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/04/2018 08:32 PM

You're welcome. No, Marv is gone. Everyone else is still there though.
Posted By: Sherrie

Re: June 2018 Trip Report #7 - 07/05/2018 03:38 AM

Oh...we loved Marvlyn! Where/when did she leave? Looking forward to seeing the crew.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline