TravelTalkOnline

Air fare alerts

Posted By: Kamehameha

Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 06:21 PM

You are all very impressive with your ability to find good air fares and to get alerted when fares drop or there is a special. What do you think is the best web site to list your preferences and the dates you want? I keep getting "GREAT FARE ALERT" no where around the time I want to go. Suggestions would be appreciated.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 06:59 PM

Keep looking. Time of year matters but location matters more. Not a lot of good fares out of most of the country, including FL.
Posted By: sasasal

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 07:15 PM

We have always had luck with fares, but we are flexible. Jet blue days of the week change. we pick the lowest fare and can do that. Of course we fly out of jfk, and that matters. We are able to go any day of the week, Looking at jet blue, every day has a differnt fare. I do not go into any other sites but jet blue for booking as have never gotten cheaper fares elsewhere... but again, for those that can not fly out of jfk, and for us only direct, have issues.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 07:19 PM

I have had good luck with Google and kayak alerts. You can even specify a date range and time choices rather than a generic destination preference ...
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 08:02 PM

Kamamaha--Florida is weird, as far as airfares. It's been our experience that it is generally CHEAPER to book a connecting flight, like Tampa or Orlando, connecting through Miami, than to book non-stop from Miami. In general, it's almost always cheaper regardless of airline, to book Tuesday through Thursday flights, if you can do that. Otherwise, I got nothin'! grin
Posted By: irina

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 08:32 PM

Agree with Carol. We got better rates out of NYC than we get here in MIA.
Travelzoo and Kayak.
Good luck!
Posted By: pat

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/22/2018 08:50 PM

I check my preferred carriers regularly but I also use Yapta every time I’m looking for something. And while the cancel fees these days are huge, you can occasionally catch a refund if you bought high and the fares drop and are signed into Yapta.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/23/2018 11:21 AM

We use YAPTA
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/23/2018 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Kamamaha--Florida is weird, as far as airfares. It's been our experience that it is generally CHEAPER to book a connecting flight, like Tampa or Orlando, connecting through Miami, than to book non-stop from Miami. In general, it's almost always cheaper regardless of airline, to book Tuesday through Thursday flights, if you can do that. Otherwise, I got nothin'! grin

Strange the way there pricing works, you're right Orlando - Mia - SXM is often cheaper on AA than MIA - SXM and you use the same plane from SXM, last year we had to go home to England for a funeral, Delta MIA to LHR was $1850, using Virgin, MCO - LHR changing in Miami and using the same Virgin Flight to London was $725.00. For a small price difference we will often drive to MIA and be able to get home to Melbourne before the connecting flight has landed in MCO but for a saving of $1125 per ticket, the extra hour and a half was worth it!!!
Posted By: Kamehameha

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/23/2018 07:22 PM

Thanks to all for the help. We usually get rental cars from Sebastian-MIA-Sebastian for a 3 week trip and leave the car home for cat sitter. But I'll start trying YAPTA, using MCO, and checking out Jet Blue. Thanks much.

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/23/2018 07:36 PM

Jet Blue from Florida currently does no good, since they left SJU (unless you want to travel north all the way to JFK, then back down)..
Posted By: road3682

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 03:11 PM

So is Delta presently only going to SXM thru SJU? Off the east coast (North Carolina area) is American the main carrier to SXM - still searching for this November....

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 04:24 PM

I actually don't know that Delta is going through SJU at all. We booked Orlando-Atlanta-SXM
Posted By: SXMFOX

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 04:38 PM

In June we had to overnight in SJU with delta. On the way back we had to overnight in Atlanta. But I think timing is the key, day of week and connection times.

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 05:36 PM

OK, didn't know that. Did you still go through Atlanta also?
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 07:16 PM

DL is flying direct on some days of the week, and connecting via Seaborne through SJU on others. Immigration and Customs in SJU is a dream compared to MIA. United does something similar from EWR.

There are really only two airlines who are fully committed to SXM with daily flights - JetBlue from JFK and American from Miami. Hate AA as much as you want for changing flights to a connection through the hated MIA, but at least they're operating 7 days a week.
Posted By: beachbum1313

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 07:34 PM

We have tickets in mid October from our airport in upstate SC connecting through Atlanta for a direct flight to SXM. However, our return flight in early November has us returning from SXM to JFK, on a Saturday night, then flying back home to SC out of La Guardia on Sunday. It wasn't our best option to do that, but it was the least expensive at the time I booked the tickets. I may have gotten something better if I had waited, but I went ahead and booked.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bahston
DL is flying direct on some days of the week, and connecting via Seaborne through SJU on others. Immigration and Customs in SJU is a dream compared to MIA. United does something similar from EWR.

There are really only two airlines who are fully committed to SXM with daily flights - JetBlue from JFK and American from Miami. Hate AA as much as you want for changing flights to a connection through the hated MIA, but at least they're operating 7 days a week.

AA is doing CLT direct to SXM starting November.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 09:10 PM

We, like so many others have used USAir/American for so many years since we like to fly out of Harrisburg (MDT) to either PHL or CLT and then to SXM. Recent years have brought Delta into the mix but for whatever reason they have chosen to price themselves out of the competition. Looks like we will go back to American direct out of PHL and Uber or Lyft from Hershey to PHL. Air travel is an adventure.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/29/2018 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Originally Posted by Bahston

AA is doing CLT direct to SXM starting November.

Yes, CLT-SXM beginning November 4, and then PHL-SXM beginning December 19. Hurricane Season willing.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Air fare alerts - 07/30/2018 12:13 PM

Yup...that's our January trip (until the inevitable changes happen)....PVD-CLT-SXM, SXM-PHL-PVD
Posted By: EWortman

Re: Air fare alerts - 08/03/2018 04:26 PM

I fly direct from JFK to SXM via Delta, pricing is not bad, we are going in October...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline