TravelTalkOnline

Orient beach tenants frustrated

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/26/2018 02:27 PM

Daily Herald link

My opinion is that the Collectivite's actions in this matter are inexcusable. No moves to rebuild, 14 months post Irma.
Posted By: Pan

Re: Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/26/2018 03:24 PM

Orient, Grand Case and Marigot are the jewels of the French side and have the potential to be prosperous but apparently the word prosper is a dirty word there.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/26/2018 03:53 PM

Not liking the word carbet!
I think a better name would be... Beach Concession

A concession agreement is a negotiated contract between a company and a government that gives the company the right to operate a specific business within the government's jurisdiction, subject to certain conditions.
Investopedia

carbet: large box or shed shared by several families in French Guiana and the West Indies.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/26/2018 04:15 PM

Didn't take long for Pinel to get back to pre Irma standards. Actually it's even better now. Orient should be too.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/27/2018 08:57 PM

I read the article and really got little from it other than lip service. What a joke.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Orient beach tenants frustrated - 11/27/2018 09:40 PM

June 2016: Three local proprietors of the carbets fought the Collectivite to complete the unfinished project back in 2016 and finally signed their contracts and opened soon after. The rent in 2016 was 2,200 euros and Leandre was the strongest voice. I remember a riot in French Quater at the time and was scared to death with the roads blocked and we had to leave cars and regroup with others stuck in Orleans.
I am not saying it was related but soon after the contracts were signed and everything was back to normal...
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline