TravelTalkOnline

Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 02:48 PM

Daily Herald link

Seems like a good idea, for those who want to walk. And maybe they can also set up paid jitneys to travel the path, for people who would prefer to take that kind of a transfer. That should keep a decent amount of traffic off the immediate roads around the port, and as the story says, cut down on the harassment by taxi drivers trying to get rides.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 04:10 PM

Great idea if it comes to being. Will encourage more to get off the ship into town.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 04:55 PM

How about reviving the plans for the dump. Gosh knows there are plenty of them!
Posted By: pat

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
How about reviving the plans for the dump. Gosh knows there are plenty of them!

Every so often I wish there was a 'Like" button on TTOL. This is one of those comments that would draw a definite 'Like' from me.......
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 05:52 PM

I have walked that path from Philipsburg to Bobbys Marina and it is unsafe. I feel a walkway for cruiseship visitors that is away from the road is a good idea.
Posted By: soualigacapt

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
I have walked that path from Philipsburg to Bobbys Marina and it is unsafe. I feel a walkway for cruiseship visitors that is away from the road is a good idea.

The walkway from Philipsburg to Bobby's marina is totally safe and away from the road already. The boardwalk follows the water then you pass the Greenhouse Restaurant , over the small white foot bridge, you walk through the Bobby's Marina plaza and across the parking lot out to the street and along the street the rest of the way to The terminal. From Philipsburg to Bobby's marina is not dangerous.

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 07:21 PM

I think she means the walk from the ship to Bobby's Marina. Would you agree that part of the walk can be dangerous??
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 08:31 PM

There is a sidewalk there I believe? Saw many many people walking with wheels of cheese past Chesterfields...

Do they have to pay if they want to take a tinder to the pier in middle of the boardwalk?

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 08:35 PM

It's been a LONG time since I went that way, but I don't think there is a sidewalk that goes the whole way. And yes, the tender into the middle of the boardwalk is a charge, not sure how much. I believe on most ships you get a wristband or similar, which allows you to use it as many times as you want in that one day.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/29/2018 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by soualigacapt
Originally Posted by sxmmartini

The walkway from Philipsburg to Bobby's marina is totally safe and away from the road already. The boardwalk follows the water then you pass the Greenhouse Restaurant , over the small white foot bridge, you walk through the Bobby's Marina plaza and across the parking lot out to the street and along the street the rest of the way to The terminal. From Philipsburg to Bobby's marina is not dangerous.

I agree the foot bridge is very nice. My directions are off but I feel the sidewalk along the road to the Port is dangerous.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/30/2018 12:21 AM

Correct. Not to safe.
Posted By: soualigacapt

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 11/30/2018 11:35 PM

No, Not any more dangerous than walking on any sidewalk near a busy street. Thousands of people use the sidewalk each week and I am right there everyday and have never seen an accident or any kind of problem. There are speed bumps to keep the traffic going slowly.

Re: Plans revived for boardwalk to cruise pier - 12/01/2018 12:14 AM

OK.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline