TravelTalkOnline

Construction to start on Orient?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Construction to start on Orient? - 02/18/2019 06:01 PM

Jeff Berger's newsletter says that construction is supposed to start soon on the carbets on Orient -- where Chez Leadra, Aloha, etc., were. Can anyone on island confirm that they have seen anything going on there?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/18/2019 06:20 PM

I did see some pictures elsewhere recently that appeared to be initial excavation/construction on Orient.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/18/2019 07:03 PM

Was this a recent news letter or a few weeks ago?

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/18/2019 07:09 PM

JD--thanks.
Scubaman--Received the newsletter this morning.

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/18/2019 07:15 PM

Thanks. Mine hasn't come yet. Once I get through all that Skymed promo crap I'll look for that article.

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 02:17 AM

Mine just came late afternoon. Not a lot in there I didn't already know. Says construction should be done this May. Pipe dream?
Posted By: RunnernReader

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 11:01 AM

CONFIRMING! Carole .... and it's a pleasure to see:

Yes the area from ex-Pedro's north for the next 150 yards or so is:
1) all fenced off with orange fence ...further back from the beach than before
2) all dug out by huge cat ... they're going down into foundations this time
3) pipes for water and sewer ... and probably other necessities are being laid and sticking up (not just a pipe DREAM, Scuba man!!! LOL)
4) reinforcing rod is there .... and although I haven't looked in the hole ..I think they've poured some concrete.

AND further down the beach ..in front of Alamanda (sorry I've forgotten the name of the beach bar) .... to the left of the big rocks as you look at it from the beach
5) the site has been prepared by huge cat .... it again is much further back than before
6) and rather than going down as with the nine or so sites near ex-Pedro's .... they seem to be building UP ... so as you approach the site there is a climb of approx. feet higher than the original.... they've piled earth to a higher platform
7) again site is all fenced off and they have lots of building supplies on site.

Good things are happening!
Posted By: decaym

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 11:25 AM

I miss the bars, restaurants, and concessions that were there ten years ago, before the last big rebuild. It had more of an island feel than the big operations further north. Only problem was the beach kept moving around to the point where the bars could only put one or two rows of chairs out front!

Anyway, not what I wanted to talk about. With so many projects happening for both this spot, Club O, and the big operations has anyone considered creating a map of Orient Bay to show what is still closed, what has reopened, and what is currently under construction? Those of us who don't make it down there very often could really benefit from an overview map.

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 12:21 PM

Reader--Great! Thanks for the confirmation.

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 04:03 PM

Good to hear progress is underway.
Posted By: Mbrott

Re: Construction to start on Orient? - 02/19/2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by RunnernReader
CONFIRMING! Carole .... and it's a pleasure to see:

Yes the area from ex-Pedro's north for the next 150 yards or so is:
1) all fenced off with orange fence ...further back from the beach than before
2) all dug out by huge cat ... they're going down into foundations this time
3) pipes for water and sewer ... and probably other necessities are being laid and sticking up (not just a pipe DREAM, Scuba man!!! LOL)
4) reinforcing rod is there .... and although I haven't looked in the hole ..I think they've poured some concrete.

AND further down the beach ..in front of Alamanda (sorry I've forgotten the name of the beach bar) .... to the left of the big rocks as you look at it from the beach
5) the site has been prepared by huge cat .... it again is much further back than before
6) and rather than going down as with the nine or so sites near ex-Pedro's .... they seem to be building UP ... so as you approach the site there is a climb of approx. feet higher than the original.... they've piled earth to a higher platform
7) again site is all fenced off and they have lots of building supplies on site.

Good things are happening!

I'm hoping. Headed down for 10 days in May.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline