TravelTalkOnline

Drinking Tap Water

Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 01:45 PM

As I recall, we have always drunk (yes drunk) the tap water. Is everything OK with the desalinization plant water?
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 02:08 PM

We always have drunk it also, with no issues. I have seen this question posted somewhere before recently, and everyone stated it was and is still safe.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 02:37 PM

Been going to SXM 30 years always drink tap water never been sick !!!
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 02:53 PM

Had it many times in our unit and most restaurants and no issues. Only restaurant that did not serve tap water was one on the lagoon where we had problems with the food and an odor off the lagoon. Makes one wonder what they wash dishes and produce with if the tap water is not served at the table?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 02:59 PM

It's been my experience that restaurants that refuse to serve tap water do so because they want to charge for bottled water..

That said, I don't normally drink tap water at home. I normally drink bottled water, both at home and in SXM, Unless you are staying at a villa with a cistern for water, I think that tap water on the island is perfectly SAFE to drink though.
Posted By: pat

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
......... Unless you are staying at a villa with a cistern for water, I think that tap water on the island is perfectly SAFE to drink though.

We have been drinking the island’s tap water every trip since our first in 1973 and we have never had an issue with the desalinated water - unlike our only trip to Mexico, but I have read Carol’s caveat regarding untreated cistern water many times from many others, too, and I would pay close attention, jic.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 03:14 PM

Correct on the tap water.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 03:21 PM

We have also had no problems with the tap water. It actually tastes better than our tap water at home. We do use a britta filter pitcher on island and home just for the taste improvement. As far as ordering tap in a restaurant I agree. Tap is fine and they only want to sell bottled water, like Toppers, for the profit.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 04:17 PM

Personally believe if they refuse to serve tap water it's mostly on the French side because it stinks! They don't want to tell you that. We were someplace the other day with family and some asked for tap water. Server said he would be happy to serve it, but it's not very good. We bought a bottle!

Been drinking tap water here for 11 years with no ill effects, except I'm 11 years older!
Posted By: pat

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 04:28 PM

Well, I think we all suffer from that last, Elaine....... 45+ and still healthy! thumbsup

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 05:09 PM

We also order bottled water on the French side too for the same reasons.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/24/2019 07:21 PM

Recently (like two weeks ago) we had tap water with our meals at the following restaurants in addition to our drinks, etc.: Ocean Lounge, Chesterfield's, The Green House, Mark's Place, Sunset Beach Bar & Restaurant ... all on the Dutch side and 1). all these places were happy to provide it, and 2). it tasted great. There were zero ill affects. Absolutely no issues at all on the Dutch side. However, on the French side we only had drinks, beer or soda at Yellow Submarine, Perch Bar & Grill, and at Friar's Bay. So, I would suggest following the advice of the above posts and go with bottled water on the French side, but no worries on the southern side of the island!
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/26/2019 04:05 PM

The salinization plant is good so water is good but what about the pipe dispensing the water?

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/26/2019 04:45 PM

Probably in the same shape most older homes and older water delivery systems are in the US.
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/26/2019 06:35 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the French side use the same tap water from the same desalinization plant as the Dutch side?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/26/2019 07:16 PM

No, Both side have their own infrastructure.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/26/2019 08:26 PM

I've tried both and thought the French side had a "taste" and Dutch side did not.
Posted By: Susieville

Re: Drinking Tap Water - 03/27/2019 11:44 AM

As I mentioned on another thread. I always drink the tap water and have no trouble asking and getting it. I only know about the Dutch side since we are owners at the Divi. I have a very sensitive stomach and IBS and never a problem.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline