TravelTalkOnline

Customs question

Posted By: WayneB

Customs question - 04/01/2019 03:57 PM

Question about customs... It has been quote a while since we flew thru San Juan, coming home. Do you go thru customs there in San Juan, or is that done when you hit a mainland airport?

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 04:25 PM

First stop in US territory. San Juan.

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 04:28 PM

Thanks Elaine.

How is customs in San Juan lately? Busy? Do they have TSA-Pre lines?

Thank you in advance.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 05:21 PM

When I went thru SJU a few months ago I cleared in Terminal A, rather than Terminal D as I always have in the past. I don't know if there's still an Immigration and Customs area in D, as D is all but empty. How busy it is depends on the time of day, and what flight(s) come in ahead of you. In the morning it has always been light. In the afternoon it gets busier.

There were a dozen or so kiosks, and either 1 or 2 Global Entry terminals. There were maybe 4 agents checking papers, and 1 assisting at the kiosks. I came in behind a JetBlue flight, so it took maybe 20 minutes to clear Immigration and Customs. You have to find one of the Agriculture baggage inspection checkpoints and get an APHIS sticker on your bags before checking bags or going to the TSA checkpoint.

I used the TSA checkpoint for Terminals B and C. There was a TSA Pre-Check lane on the left, and a 1st Class lane on the right, with everyone else in the middle. Like TSA checkpoints everywhere, how long it takes depends on how many agents are working, how many screening lines are open, and how many people are ahead of you. There's also a TSA checkpoint in Terminal A, but I have no experience with it. I don't think that Terminal D still has a TSA Checkpoint.

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 06:08 PM

Thanks Bahston.

Anyone have experience on Seabourne Airlines to San Juan? Recommend or Stay Away???
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 06:25 PM

I haven't flown them, but I'm aware of them. They were acquired by Silver Airways out of Florida last year. Seaborne has an interline agreement with United. For awhile, and perhaps still, some UA flights to SXM connected through SJU using Seaborne.

Re: Customs question - 04/01/2019 06:42 PM

Yes, it also appears they have an agreement with AA, as I just booked a flight on Seabourne thru American, to San Juan, and on to Boston on American. Looks like a smaller plane with 2 seats on the right side of the aisle, one on the left.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline