TravelTalkOnline

PJIA - another disappointing news item.......

Posted By: DandM29212

PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/03/2019 04:26 AM

Wonder what impacts this is all going to have.....

https://www.smn-news.com/st-maarten...nment-failed-at-bondholders-meeting.html
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/03/2019 10:17 AM

Looks like the folks with the skin in the game are looking for accountability. The SXM corruption record has come home to roost.
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/03/2019 10:51 AM

That's the way I read it too... I saw this as a good thing for all except those with their hands in the pot.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/03/2019 12:02 PM

Very bad news and saw it coming unfortunately.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/03/2019 10:14 PM

Just curious as to why you would consider this bad news??? What am I missing???
Posted By: smalbany

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 05:02 PM

It appears that there will be significant costs that will be the responsibility of the St. Martin taxpayers. In addition, a significant portion of the proceeds of the current loans and insurance settlement will be used for administrative and legal expenses. Lastly, it is likely that passenger departure and user fees will need to increase sharply to cover repair and operating expenses.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 06:02 PM

So to translate this, is it likely that air fares will go up? Should people planning to visit SXM make their air reservations now to lock in the rates for this upcoming summer and fall? And, I suppose this could have a residual effect on the number of flights to-and-from St. Maarten down the road. Am I overcooking this, or does this sound possible?

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 07:02 PM

Actually I'm not sure that , that news on SXM News is totally correct nor accurate because nothing of the same was published in the Daily Herald .
So please don't get carried away.
Thanks.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
Actually I'm not sure that , that news on SXM News is totally correct nor accurate because nothing of the same was published in the Daily Herald .
So please don't get carried away.
Thanks.

Lesley, do you mean the news is "totally correct" or "totally incorrect"?

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 08:19 PM

J.D what I'm saying is that seeing that the Daily Herald didn't published nothing similar about the Airport , then the news that SXM News published can't be true.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 08:27 PM

SXM News is sort of like our version of National Enquirer.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 08:32 PM

Elaine-- rofl Thanks for that!! I needed a laugh!

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/04/2019 10:50 PM

Thanks Elaine for stating this.

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/08/2019 12:05 PM

For the record the Prime Minister has just requested a full internal investigation into this .
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/08/2019 12:46 PM

DAILY HERALD
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/08/2019 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
For the record the Prime Minister has just requested a full internal investigation into this .

The PM apparently wants an investigation of the leak - she does not appear to challenge the accuracy of the report in the SMN-News. When a government is concerned with the leak - not the facts - it usually implies that the leaked information is correct. (Of course, I have no idea if the details in the report are true or not.)

I do not understand why the results of negotiations with the bondholders need to be so confidential - I can understand why bargaining positions need to be kept confidential - and perhaps statements re particular individuals - but why the basic results of meetings with the bondholders that are known by all the participants.

Assuming that she got the facts pretty accurate, I think that Ms. Shaw has done a service with her story - I feel sure that many people had no idea about a group of "bondholders" playing such a key role in such an important property.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: PJIA - another disappointing news item....... - 04/08/2019 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
SXM News is sort of like our version of National Enquirer.

Bibi from SXM news is a real news site that brings news no one else would risk putting out there.
She is a gutsy woman who fights for the truth to published.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline