TravelTalkOnline

Delta Airlines

Posted By: SammyM

Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 04:30 PM

Just read a report that ranked Delta Air Lines first among U.S. based airlines regarding on-time arrivals and departures, and 'other statistical measures.' The researchers who crunched the numbers indicated that as a whole U.S. airlines are getting better at baggage handling, fewer over-booked flights, and are getting fewer complaints overall. The article (in my local newspaper) didn't say who these researchers are, but this was apparently a long-running study that I hope to read more about online. It did not say if this was all U.S.-based airlines, or just the larger carriers such as American, United, etc. From past experience Delta has direct flights to St. Maarten from both New York's JFK and Atlanta. This sort of confirms my thoughts all along that Delta seems to care more about being on-time with their flight schedules. Just an FYI.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 06:44 PM

US Airline Quality Ratings link
Posted By: RonDon

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 07:14 PM

Someone posted here that Delta's more room seats were smaller than regular seats on Jet Blue.

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 07:37 PM

Extra room seats are 18 inches wide on Delta and JB (same as coach on both)

Pitch is greater on JB (37-41) vs. 34
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 07:51 PM

Sooner or later, every airline will make certain passengers happy and sooner or later every airline will disappoint passengers.

I have found that most all airlines build at least 20-30 minutes of "fluff time" into their schedule and it is done to make their "on time" performance look better.

Most of us have little choice. In my case it is Delta or AA. No good option of JetBlue or any other carrier. Be thankful if you have more than 1-2 options and airports.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 08:08 PM

I think that "fewer complaints" reflects lower expectations by travelers more than improved fight quality. Seriously does anyone think that the "flying experience" has improved during the last few years?

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/09/2019 08:31 PM

Maybe but the criteria is pretty aggressive...

The rating is a multifactor examination of the airlines based on mishandled baggage, consumer complaints, on-time performance and involuntary denied boardings.
Posted By: deputydog1157

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 12:11 PM

I wonder if the airlines ever thought about putting first class width seats only on their planes. Let 1st class stay as it is with their own FA, restroom and unlimited drinks etc. Instead of having 6 seats across in coach there would be 4 seats across. There could still be coach at 6 across but between 1st/business and coach could be "comfort" section. Now I understand that this will reduce the capacity of the plane by 1/3 but if they increase the cost of the ticket a commensurate amount of the seats lost, I would be willing to bet that many more people would prefer it. Here;s how it would work and I will use general numbers. Say there are 6 seats across at $500 per seat. That would bring in $3000 revenue. Now take that $3000 and divide it by 4 and the cost is now $750. I would imagine that same flight in 1st class would be well in excess of $1200-$1500. I don't want or need all that 1st class offers but I also don't want to feel like I am in a can of sardines, especially if I'm in the middle seat. I think this would be a viable alternative and if I were in a position to do so in a major airline, I'd try it on a select few routes and planes to see if it worked. I imagine it would also cut down on expenses for the airlines (less, catering, less fuel) which could then open up additional revenue sources by hauling cargo.

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 12:40 PM

Not a bad idea except the $500 fare you refer to is usually limited to either a sale of some sorts or the metro area airports on the East coast. From my area you are in the $750-$900 range for the bare bones fare on AA or Delta. The airlines covered some of this with their "comfort" seating, "business" seating and "main cabin extra" seating. I think JetBlue calls theirs "mint" or something like that.
Posted By: sugarae

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 12:55 PM

Some do this now. They call it " Premium " coach.

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by sugarae
Some do this now. They call it " Premium " coach.

Yep, just another way to charge more for a seat and perhaps throw in a few minor extras.
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 01:17 PM

There was a small airline based here in Raleigh that did that - Midway Airlines. They were great to fly. They struggled and 9/11 ultimately killed them, but they were all full width seating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midway_Airlines_(1993%E2%80%932003)
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 05:07 PM

And the new basic/enhanced economy rates further muddle the situation. You see a rate that you think is great, only to find out the restrictions. No choosing seats until you reach the check-in counter. No carry-ons. No cancellations, changes or refunds.

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 05:13 PM

Correct, although I think some still allow either a carry-on or a personal item without additional charge. I just checked Delta and it indicates a carry-on is still free.

"Carry-on bag complimentary. Overhead bin space may be limited, so carry-on bag may be gate checked for free"
Posted By: PnPinNC

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 05:23 PM

Correct... Delta and American basic economy, still allow carry on's, but the major restrictions are no assigned seats, and last section to board.

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 06:41 PM

Just playing with dates and confirmed that you really have to pay attention to the fare categories. Here's an example where it cost less for a regular fare than 'basic"...basic is as described above

(one way fare used for example)

Attached picture Capture.JPG

Re: Delta Airlines - 04/10/2019 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Just playing with dates and confirmed that you really have to pay attention to the fare categories. Here's an example where it cost less for a regular fare than 'basic"...basic is as described above

(one way fare used for example)

Good catch. Just another thing with the airlines that does not make sense.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline