TravelTalkOnline

What is TGCA?

Posted By: Carol_Hill

What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 01:34 PM

I saw on a menu for a Grand Case restaurant that "TGCA not included", or similar words in French. What is that?
Posted By: Bip

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 01:43 PM

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/45632.html

The TGCA is a tax applicable on the entire territory of the Community of St. Martin in the French West Indies since August 1, 2010. It is due to local economic operations , including sales and services. Are involved all stakeholders in the economy of the island, businesses, commerce and the professions. The amount of 4% on sales is donated to the Community in order to enable it to increase the budget and finances. It is always charged . Are exempt import of goods , sales of prescription drugs, bread, water supply, and the goods when exported from the island except on the Dutch side that remains taxable.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 01:51 PM

TGCA is a “General Turnover Tax” that is only in French St. Martin and is pegged at 4%. This is similar to the VAT on the mainland of France. It is applied to retail goods and services.

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 01:52 PM

Huh. I have never seen it on a menu before, as not being included in the price. Maybe I just never paid attention to it before? Or restaurants are now not including it, when they used to before?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 06:33 PM

Has nothing to due with the SC.

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 07:28 PM

It is and has been normally included in the pricing. Businesses that are now showing it as a separate line item are trying to bump up their pricing while blaming it on outside forces. They are trying to bump their bottom line by the 4% and not get blamed for that change. Be careful, some might even list as higher than 4%.
Posted By: Tom

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 09:11 PM

I sometimes grow weary of the trickery that some businesses employ to increase their bottom line profits. My personal response to this type of tactic is to stop doing business with them and spread the word on sites like TTOL. When others are better informed they can make better choices.
IMHO there are lots of creative ways to generate additional sales without resorting to unethical actions.
Sorry for the sermon but after spending all of my career in sales and marketing I still remember the difference between right and wrong, without the questionable "spin".
Posted By: bran

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 09:18 PM

I remember the conversation we had regarding people saying that in restaurants on the French side they add 15% service charge. Well I have never seen this but started noticing that it applies more to the Dutch side as twice eaten where it’s been added....
Posted By: ChiTownHarry

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/24/2019 09:34 PM

From a post on TTOL in 2015:

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
The TGCA is a tax applicable on the entire territory of the Community of St. Martin in the French West Indies since August 1, 2010. It is due to local economic operations , including sales and services. Are involved all stakeholders in the economy of the island, businesses, commerce and the professions. The amount of 4% on sales is donated to the Community in order to enable it to increase the budget and finances. It is always charged . Are exempt import of goods , sales of prescription drugs, bread, water supply, and the goods when exported from the island except on the Dutch side that remains taxable.

For the entire thread, see: 2015 post

I hope this helps.

Re: What is TGCA? - 05/25/2019 12:28 AM

bdeely--thanks. I didn't remember it being a separate item on the bill before..
Posted By: kim

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 04:45 PM

Bumping an old thread as it’s the same question. So this has zero to do with tipping? So it means leave more? Even more confused. B

Attached picture IMG_2588.jpeg

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 05:11 PM

Correct. It is a tax on the French side. It's usually a line item on a bill now. So it's already on your bill when you receive it. Just pay whatever the bill says and add whatever small amount you want, for an actual tip.

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 05:45 PM

Right. But it says “non comprise” doesn’t that mean it hasn’t been added? Insinuating to leave more? This just caught me off guard.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by kim
Right. But it says “non comprise” doesn’t that mean it hasn’t been added? Insinuating to leave more? This just caught me off guard.

No, it just means that when they sum up your bill, they will bottom line the 4% tax. They will charge it. It means the menu prices don't include tax.

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 06:15 PM

cruzer--exactly correct. There will be a line item on your bill for it. It used to be that restaurants on the French side would include it in their prices. Now, they give you a notation that it is not included in their prices. Nothing to do with tipping at all. It is a form of price inflation I suppose, but it is a legitimate tax.

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/13/2023 07:40 PM

Ah ok!!! Thank you!!
Posted By: Lucid

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/14/2023 05:39 PM

"TGCA not included" probably means that the restaurant's prices don't include the TGCA (Taxe sur la Gestion des Concessions Aéroportuaires), which is an airport concession tax in St. Martin. So, just keep in mind that you might have to pay this tax on top of your meal when you dine there.

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/14/2023 05:53 PM

Lucid--NO, TGCA is not an 'airport concession tax'. Has nothing to do with airports, per se.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/14/2023 06:20 PM

If you google it here is what comes up:
'
TGCA
Taiwan General Contractors Association

TGCA
Taiwan Guidance and Counseling Association

TGCA
Texas Girls Coaches Association
Texas, Coaching, Girl

TGCA
Texas Grocery & Convenience Association

TGCA
Texas Grocery and Convenience Association

TGCA
Texas Gun Collectors Association
Collector, Gun, Texas

TGCA
The Genome Customization Award

TGCA
Traditional Gypsy Cob Association
Gypsy, Horse, Stallion

TGCA
Transportable Group Control Approach

TGCA
Triple Grand Champion Alter'
I'm sure there are more.
dance

Re: What is TGCA? - 11/14/2023 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
TGCA is a “General Turnover Tax” that is only in French St. Martin and is pegged at 4%. This is similar to the VAT on the mainland of France. It is applied to retail goods and services.

If you did a more focused search on google, such as "tgca sxm" you would get relevant results
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline