TravelTalkOnline

Airport Pelicans

Posted By: blackmercedes

Airport Pelicans - 09/21/2019 03:39 PM

How are the poor pelicans at the airport roundabout these days? We were there in June. Back in Nov. Hope they are fixed by then. Sad to see them still destroyed.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/21/2019 03:43 PM

No change
Posted By: EdB

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/21/2019 10:42 PM

There was such an outrage when those beautiful pelicans were constructed. I remember so much controversy from the island residents, that thought the price paid for the ''birds'' was way to expensive, and that the money could have been used for ''better things''. I am pretty sure, after seeing the poor birds all broken up after Irma, that if the birds were to be repaired....the outrage will be heard all over again. Especially with the airport still fighting for funds to get back totally up and running. My guess is that the birds will probably be the last thing fixed on the island....if ever. Personally, I loved seeing those majestic birds, and smiled every time we would pass them. But were they worth a couple million bucks? Not sure. Time will tell.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/21/2019 10:56 PM

Thank you for replying. Why can't all of us, who LOVE SXM, get them fixed??? Go fund me? or Something? I would never know how to start something myself..but would certainly donate. Just thinking out loud. Please don't write mean comments back. We go about 4 times a year. Been there 6 times since the hurricane I think. So sad to see them still broken.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/22/2019 12:39 AM

The price for the roundabout, including the lighting, pelicans and landscape was a bit over 1/2 million dollars. I would think the bronze pelicans were a smaller portion of the whole cost.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/22/2019 02:59 AM

Would love to see them fixed but there are other priorities.

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/22/2019 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
The price for the roundabout, including the lighting, pelicans and landscape was a bit over 1/2 million dollars. I would think the bronze pelicans were a smaller portion of the whole cost.

i remember when they were being constructed....the entire cost was well over 500k for the roundabout. would love to see the archive story on them. not sure where to get this info. help??
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/22/2019 11:45 AM

Pelican roundabout

Attached is a link to an article at the time.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/22/2019 03:33 PM

Lets get the Airport Fixed First !!!

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/23/2019 12:13 AM

Bdeeley , Thank you.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/23/2019 03:22 AM

This make me want to throw up:

"“Landmarks are synonymous with developing countries and their growing economies,” chairman of the airport board Clarence Derby said. “They symbolize the national heroes, they demonstrate economic progress. This roundabout is proudly showing off the symbol, the national bird, the brown pelican,” the chairman continued. “This is a gift from the airport to the people of St. Maarten. This landmark was built to stand the test of time.”
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Airport Pelicans - 09/23/2019 10:44 AM

Exactly. Their cost was several hundred thousand bucks if I remember correctly. Beautiful absurdity.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline