TravelTalkOnline

PPRN suspended for three months

Posted By: candj

PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 12:21 PM

In the Daily Herald:
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/93365-minister-girardin-announces-suspension-of-pprn-process

But there is still confusion.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 01:12 PM

3 month extension with no solutions
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 01:45 PM

Just locked several threads, as there were way too many, about the same thing.

Anyone have a report on status from today?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 02:03 PM

I can not get the link to work properly but according to Le Pelican FB page there is some cleanup going on and this was posted regarding the blockages.

"Big Case: traffic is fluid.

Sandy ground and orléans district: the blocks remain in these areas."

Try the link below:

Le Pelican

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 02:11 PM

I think that's probably a translation issue. Probably means GRAND Case. Sounds like, as of now, traffic is moving slowly in Marigot and Grand Case, still blocked, Sandy Ground and Orleans.
Posted By: bethandsteve

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 02:16 PM

We talked with our villa manager this morning. He was able to get around the French side yesterday afternoon and this am without any issues. As of now it seems to have calmed down.

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 02:24 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 03:23 PM

Good news. What I learned yesterday is they “all” like the previous prefect and the PPRN needs a rewrite.
What I heard said is if they get that theyll all go home. Maybe mission accomplished for now.

Did alot more reading/listening and heard many calling for a unification of st martin/st maarten long- term and that they are big on land rights for the locals and that they are willing to sacrifice short term tourism economic gains for long term ability to build/transfer wealth to their children/grandchildren. This PPRN really struck a nerve. As it should IMHO.

Weve been keeping a eye and trigger finger on a backup dutch side place that is simple/inexpensive and we would just end up with two lodgings to sleep in on both sides if we pull that trigger. This morning so far says keep watching.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 03:59 PM

Just picked up our car safely. Just a small dent from a rock . And thanks it was at Cadisco Gas Station.

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 04:01 PM

OK, good news. Do things seem to be returning to normal?
Posted By: Kennys

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 04:20 PM

For now yes , thanks.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: PPRN suspended for three months - 12/18/2019 07:12 PM

Postponing an important issue like the PPRN does not resolve anything for now! The people wait three months to see a revision? The good people that peacefully protested have done a good thing but the thugs who burned cars and threw stones at the Gendarmes were rewarded with a reaction that if we take to the streets and cause havock we have made a difference. The past days have hurt the island and tourism. I will return to SXM before the next PPRN release and will hope it does not become another scene like this last protest.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline