TravelTalkOnline

Do you need to carry an ID?

Posted By: SandS

Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 04:08 PM

I never carry an ID. My husband has his license & car rental contract. Someone told me I could be in trouble if stopped by the police even as a passenger.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SandS
I never carry an ID. My husband has his license & car rental contract. Someone told me I could be in trouble if stopped by the police even as a passenger.

I would carry some sort of identification at all times. What happens if you are in a serious accident? Getting proper medical attention or finding out necessary information about you would possibly not happen.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 04:23 PM

Agree with above....you should always have an ID with you....not SXM specific comment
Posted By: MamaB

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 04:25 PM

I make copies of our passport photo page and our drivers' licenses and put them in my beach bag or small purse.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 07:12 PM

Honestly, I have NEVER carried an ID with me on SXM, unless I am driving, which is pretty rare. I don't know if you are supposed to carry ID or not on SXM. But I will tell you that I don't carry a purse on SXM and I am not about to start..

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 07:23 PM

I believe it is a requirement for all foreign visitors in France and French territories to carry an official ID. Not sure if it's the same for NA and not sure how strict they would be on the French side.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 07:47 PM

I carry an ID at all times, but only because I'm sometimes asked (rarely) for it when presenting a credit card, which I also carry at all times.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 07:59 PM

Eric always has his, but I don't ever carry mine..
Posted By: GOTOSUN

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 08:11 PM

I was stopped at a routine check point by Gendarmes in GC a couple years ago, while driving a rental car (I am US citizen, btw). They requested passport and driver's license for me, and passport for my wife. When we produced photocopies of same, and they were satisfied. They also told us, in an entirely friendly manner, that we avoided a lot of trouble for ourselves by being thus prepared.
Posted By: kim

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 08:16 PM

I don’t go anywhere without my drivers license. One credit card and cash. Doesn’t matter where I am.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 09:33 PM

I don't carry a purse on the island, most of the time. My husband carries my driver's license in his wallet when we're on the island, just in case. We've been stopped twice by the Gendarmes when they were doing controls, and they never asked for my ID. Obviously checked his, as he was driving.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by kim
I don’t go anywhere without my drivers license. One credit card and cash. Doesn’t matter where I am.

That's ME wink
Posted By: Shelby2

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 11:21 PM

Was stopped on french side YEARS ago. They made every person in the car (3) produce ID. I would never go anywhere, US or not, without ID. Reminds me when I was a kid my mother would always check my pockets to be sure I at least had a dime or quarter in my pocket for emergency phone calls...but guess I'm dating myself here😊

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/23/2020 11:57 PM

Yep, same here. I know way too many adults who carry ZERO cash and rely solely on credit or debit cards. I think carrying some form of ID is a wise thing to do regardless of where one is.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/24/2020 11:13 AM

ditto Kim
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/24/2020 03:10 PM

I would never be anyplace without ID. You never know when you're alone in an emergency and need to have ID.
Posted By: deirdre1

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/24/2020 04:17 PM

We also make copies of our passports and drivers license and leave them in the car with the rental agreement. We have been stopped coming off Orient by gendarmes and those documents were acceptable.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/24/2020 04:30 PM

A dear friend's pocketbook was snatched off her shoulder by a scooter thief. She had her passport in the bag which was an ordeal to replace. I leave my passport in a safe place but carry my expired passport and drivers license in my beach bag.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/24/2020 05:18 PM

I would not leave copies of passport or license in car unattended.
Posted By: dmwieser

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 12:11 PM

A person should always carry some form of ID on themselves, ESPECIALLY when traveling abroad.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 12:44 PM

Just a thought... What about taking pictures of your passport and driver's license with your cell phone to show if needed. Anyone think that might be acceptable?

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 12:52 PM

No idea but it would be better than not carrying any ID.

Are you going to be on the island in March?
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 12:59 PM

Yes, We arrive March 1st and depart on March 29. If you're there we should plane to meet for a drink.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 01:01 PM

March 8-20 at Atrium. Hope to cross paths.
Posted By: biglar

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/25/2020 07:33 PM

Leagle49...thanks for the great idea about using our phones. Just took copies of both our passports and driver's license with the phone. We still carry the copies of both with us, but this may someday help, even in the states.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/26/2020 05:50 PM

Taking a picture is a great idea. You never know, it could help out if your documents got lost or stolen also.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/26/2020 06:20 PM

As far as pictures. If you have a gmail account just set up your google pictures. Take pictures of your passport. They then can be accessed anywhere there is an internet connection by signing into your gmail account. I just can’t comprehend traveling anywhere in the world without at least your drivers license or some sort of picture ID.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/26/2020 11:34 PM

If you just take a picture with your phone it's in your picture gallery and you can access it without internet.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/26/2020 11:42 PM

True. But if your phone is also stolen. Just good to have on any cloud based service.

Re: Do you need to carry an ID? - 01/27/2020 02:17 PM

I don't know how you would access that cloud if stopped by the authorities but another backup is a good backup...unless the cloud is hacked by someone.,,,

...and, I forgot to mention, on Saturday, the Gendarmarie were stopping cars on both sides of the road from Orient heading towards Grand Case (right after the roundabout). They had 2 cars stopped on each side and were checking papers and, in one case, looking in the trunk
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline