TravelTalkOnline

2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID

Posted By: Carol_Hill

2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 02:15 PM

Article

Eric's DL is not real ID compliant, although mine is, as I have a new DL. That's a function of how long DL's are good for, in many states. (Of course, he has a passport, so could fly with that.) Flying starting October 1 is going to be REALLY interesting... crazy
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 02:43 PM

Yep and I guess there is a backlog at many DMV's to get the new license. I have the new one, Ronalee does not. She was going to go ahead and get it this year but then she would lose 1 year on her current license so she is going to wait and just use her passport when needed.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 03:03 PM

Both of ours needed to be renewed last year, so we went ahead and got the Real ID. We could have renewed online and gotten the regular ones, but we picked a day when our DMV wasn't busy and were in and out with compliant licenses in about fifteen minutes. It's good to live in the middle of nowhere.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 03:04 PM

I think that is the case with a lot of people, why they aren't getting a new license. And a lot more people just don't even know it is a problem, as of October. The lines at TSA are going to be monstrous, and there is going to be a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 03:38 PM

Not all states allow renewal online or by mail. Ohio must be done in person with a very basic eye test included.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 03:46 PM

I have a year left on mine. Cost extra to get the compliant one so not sure if I'll get it as I have both the passport and global entry cards.
Posted By: pat

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 03:46 PM

While not all offices offer this service, I was able to renew my license and get the enhanced version at an area Triple A. They typically do the standard periodic renewals but with the additional documentation you can also get the ‘Gold Star’ version that allows you easy domestic flight boarding without having to use passports.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 04:19 PM

It feels like I needed less documentation to get a passport than we do to get a ReadID. So I will continue to travel with my passport.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 04:41 PM

BeachKitten--I'm glad I have a real ID, as I do not want to have to carry my passport all the time, as I worry about losing it. It's a much bigger deal to replace than a DL.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 04:53 PM

Doesn't this whole thing sound kind of ridiculous? What exactly was the purpose behind this particular act? Maybe I just wasn't paying attention when this was announced. Just another complicated step to draw in fees from the public. How much is the cost for upgrading to a 'real ID driver's license', or does that vary by state?

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 04:59 PM

Its because there is no control in many states like WA state as to legality of residence or citizenship of who has a drivers license or if it is actually real.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 05:06 PM

The cost was the same in OH but in the case of renewing early, you lose 1-2 years (that has already been paid) on your existing license so it is a slight additional expense. It has to do with travel security requirements of the TSA and also accessing federal facilities and military bases.

FAQ REAL ID
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
I have a year left on mine. Cost extra to get the compliant one so not sure if I'll get it as I have both the passport and global entry cards.

It should not cost you extra for a real id compliant license. A real id compliant license is different from an Enhanced Driver License that some states offer. They will charge extra for that.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 07:20 PM

Correct.

ENHANCED DRIVERS LICENSE

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 07:40 PM

Except for the two states listed in the story, whenever you get a NEW driver's license now, it will be real ID. Other than those two states, you don't have any option, when you get a new DL, it will be real ID.
Posted By: kim

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 07:58 PM

I have a CT license with the gold star, is that the “Real ID”? Just renewed it last month and piece of cake. So I guess I have had it for more than 10 years. Is the gold star license what you can fly with or does it need to be more than that???

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:04 PM

If you just renewed it, then it would be a Real ID license, yes. Several states have required Real ID for several years..
Posted By: SammyM

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:19 PM

As for Pennsylvania it is not a requirement. We both have our passports, of course which takes care of flying any where. Here in the keystone state PennDot does charge a one time fee of $30 when applying for the Read I.D., so different states may very well have different fees for this.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:21 PM

In OH it is a black star so that may vary by state but as Carol said, if you just got it most likely a Real ID. What kind of paperwork did you need to get the new license as the Real ID requires specific documents.

TSA CT License

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:27 PM

It does look like PA charges an extra fee.

From PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services

How much does the REAL ID cost?

You will pay a one-time fee of $30, plus a renewal fee (current renewal fee is $30.50 for a four-year non-commercial driver’s license or a photo ID). The expiration date of the initial REAL ID product will include any time remaining on your current license or ID card, plus an additional four years, unless you are over 65 and have a two-year license.

This expiration date structure means that you won’t “lose” time that you've already paid for. After the initial REAL ID product expires, the customer will pay no additional fee, beyond regular renewal fees, to renew a REAL ID product.
Posted By: bran

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:36 PM

I think if your ID or DL has a gold star or a star on the top right hand side one is Ok? Is this correct?
Posted By: kim

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by bran
I think if your ID or DL has a gold star or a star on the top right hand side one is Ok? Is this correct?

Yes. That is now my understanding.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:44 PM

That appears to be the case, a star on the license and it is a Real ID. At least that is what a quick Google search indicates.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:44 PM

I **really** do not want to fly in October.

RealID DL or not, I belong to the "you can never have too many Passports" school of thought. I have multiple TSA-acceptable IDs.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:47 PM

The backlog of people NOT understanding the new law may be the bigger issue, regardless of what you or I have.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
The backlog of people NOT understanding the new law may be the bigger issue, regardless of what you or I have.

Well, the good thing is those folks won't be going through the TSA pre-check lines, so that's a relief. And, I probably won't have Real ID anytime soon, but the GE card is acceptable for ID.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 08:56 PM

Unless something changes, they will most likely not be going through any line. It could easily create a logjam at the counters and even perhaps the TSA line.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
Unless something changes, they will most likely not be going through any line. It could easily create a logjam at the counters and even perhaps the TSA line.

Hence my "I **really** do not want to fly in October. " statement.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 09:39 PM

bran--Yes, if you have a FL driver's license, which I assume you do.
Posted By: bran

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 10:40 PM

Hey Carol,
Freezing this morning.. 52 degrees. You must be about 8 degrees colder?

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 10:54 PM

Yesterday afternoon was VERY chilly here, about 55 degrees, spitting rain and a cold wind. Lots of sunshine today though!! handshake

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 10:55 PM

2/3 of US DL holders are not ReaID compatible.

How many of those ever fly?

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 11:11 PM

A lot of them may not, certainly, but I still predict an absolute cluster f*ck around the 1st of October, when all these people without real IDs try to fly and get rejected by TSA..
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 11:46 PM

My current license expired just before MA started issuing the RealID ones, so I have that for a few more years. I've been traveling with my passport, and found that I like it; a printed boarding pass fits just nicely in it. I know somewhere in this thread Carol mentioned worrying about losing a passport; I've actually done that, and actually found replacing it fairly easy; just had to print out a form, have my birth certificate in hand, wander down to the postoffice and swear that I didn't sell or give my previous one away.

I'm also somewhat offended by the whole RealID concept. So I may just renew for an "ordinary" license next time around too.

YMMV of course! smile
Posted By: jar867

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/22/2020 11:50 PM

Called Citrus County (FL) County Clerk's office, this week. They said that the licenses we renewed last year, with a "Gold Star" are all that is needed. We use our passports when traveling. I always make a color copy of each of our Passports and put it into each of our suitcases. We also each have "Passport Cards", which we carry separate from our passports. We have Global Entry status and usually get expedited through security. I don't know what else we can do, to travel without problems.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 12:14 AM

Honestly, to me, there are a lot of other gremlins I'd rather fight. Get the d*mn real ID.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 01:05 AM

Yep.
Posted By: KandG

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 02:58 PM

SammyM said: "As for Pennsylvania it is not a requirement. We both have our passports, of course which takes care of flying any where. Here in the keystone state PennDot does charge a one time fee of $30 when applying for the Read I.D., so different states may very well have different fees for this."

In North Carolina the fee for obtaining a Real ID is $13.00, with no change in the expiration date of the license.
Posted By: Todd

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 04:22 PM

There should only be "real" ID
Posted By: thesimpsons

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 04:25 PM

👍

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 05:05 PM

Agreed. States are doing their citizens a dis-service by giving the OPTION to renew without real ID. Frankly, it boggles the mind that some are doing that, which I guess they are, according to folks on this thread.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 05:33 PM

I am not for the government (state or otherwise) running my life but the Real ID should NOT be an option from state to state.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Honestly, to me, there are a lot of other gremlins I'd rather fight. Get the d*mn real ID.

Seems totally unnecessary to me as long as I have my passport and GE card.

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 08:17 PM

Apparently at some point, it is going to be required for admission to any federal building?? Regardless, to me, it's something not to draw a line on, just get the d*mn thing.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 09:23 PM

Correct....and why have to carry a passport for a domestic flight. One less thing to lose....or get stolen

Re: 2/3 of US Driver's Licenses not real ID - 02/23/2020 10:03 PM

Passport card is easy to carry.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline