TravelTalkOnline

French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus

Posted By: ruralcarrier

French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 11:58 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 12:04 PM

I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but this smells of someone with a grudge. A "tip", no symptoms....

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 12:08 PM

Very well could be.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 01:17 PM

Yes, very weird.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 01:17 PM

That was a strange event....
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 01:53 PM

I would wonder if they mentioned not feeling well at some point to pharmacy, hotel, villa, taxi driver and why looking/feeling better as they travelled.

That wiuld be pretty dirty trick although in the 90s we had the airlines put passwords on our reservations to prevent competitors from calling up and learning/changing/cancelling them.
Posted By: BGH

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 02:18 PM

Pure speculation until details are published.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 03:50 PM

It's nice that SXM have taken preventative steps but let's be realistic. No symptoms showing. Expect more of this at other airports as the Media perpetuates this hysteria.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 04:44 PM

Hopefully more details will be provided about this. There must be some underlying reason behind their actions. Did one of them sneeze and freak out the people around them? We arrive on Tuesday and I'm going to do my best to look "extra healthy" when and after we land.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 02/29/2020 04:51 PM

I see a family of 5 was removed from a Canadian flight because another passenger complained the young daughter was coughing. Paranoia setting in.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 11:24 AM

OH Great! I have post nasal drip and I'm always coughing. Now someone might think I have Coronavirus?

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RonDon
OH Great! I have post nasal drip and I'm always coughing. Now someone might think I have Coronavirus?

Nothing would surprise me.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier

I'll let you know in a little over a week if they stop me from coming to SXM!!!

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 12:03 PM

Same here as I will hopefully be there a week from today.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 12:13 PM

Same here as I will hopefully be there a week from today.

If we get quarantined I'll get to know you better rural carrier lol.
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 12:34 PM

I personally think, and I might be wrong, this Coronavirus has been blown out of proportion. In 2017 in the U.S.A. according to the official data from CDC, there have been 61000, read sixtyonethousand, deaths related to the "common" Flu!
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by enzosxm
I personally think, and I might be wrong, this Coronavirus has been blown out of proportion. In 2017 in the U.S.A. according to the official data from CDC, there have been 61000, read sixtyonethousand, deaths related to the "common" Flu!

This coronavirus has killed less people than the flu but has a higher mortality rate. 2% vs 0.095%. And that 2% is likely low because we can’t trust the numbers from China.
Posted By: blackmercedes

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 01:17 PM

Arriving TOMORROW!!!! Yipee!

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 04:03 PM

SXM News
"Coronavirus: three confirmed cases in the northern islands. Three cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed as positive in the northern islands by the Pasteur laboratory in Guadeloupe, which is now able to carry out the analyzes. He is a resident of Saint Barthélemy and his parents who came to visit, says ARS in a press release.

AGAIN, what don't you understand about not copying and pasting a whole news article?? Remainder of post deleted. Carol Hill

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 04:11 PM

Same article in Herald.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...-in-st-barths-two-in-st-martin-suspected
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 04:27 PM

It is one thing to have this in N.Y. where hospitals are prepared for something like Covid-19 but St. Barts! St. Maarten/ St. Martin hospitals if overwhelmed by this kind of virus would not be able to function.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 05:25 PM

Maybe the hysteria may have been well placed? Are the two in SXM the STB patient’s parents stopped at the airport?

No one knows where this goes but the attempt at containment is wise until corona vaccines are around for the masses to be another thing we can all get for free at Walgreens.

It seems to be easier to spread even without symptoms as those folks can have a heavy viral load that sheds.

Folks worldwide need to accept the quarantine inconvenience.

Ive heard some say let it go its just the flu or less. We dont really know that. And if 2.5% of the entire US population dies that 7 million people.

If you sick go to doctor and get cultured and stay home for as long as necessary.

I have 4 biz trips in next 5 weeks and thinking of having web mtgs instead. Nowhere good anyway.
Posted By: ILoveSXM

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 08:25 PM

I agree with you especially if they need to intubate patients who develop pneumonia from the corona virus. Do they have enough equipment and beds etc. I just arrived home from St. Maarten yesterday and its good to be home where I know the hospitals here are prepared for this virus.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 08:28 PM

I really don't believe that hysteria helps anything, because it leads to overreactions which in most cases don't work to contain the spread of a virus. But, I do agree that everyone should realize that the possibility of quarantine is a reality and that adequate measures to deal with this should be considered if that occurs. If an outbreak occurs on St. Martin that is extensive enough those of us visiting in the upcoming month(s) could possibly be looking at quarantine measures when we return to the states, Canada, wherever. I think this is unlikely, but nonetheless a possibility. Planning for this remote possibility would be a smart step.

The good news is that 86% of the people who have contacted this virus have a mild form of this. Equivalent to a mild influenza or even a cold. The people most at risk will be those who are immuno-compromised to various degrees, and possibly those with existing upper respiratory illness. We are not going to amend or postpone our upcoming visit to St. Martin based on what we know at the present time. But, I suppose I would think twice about getting on a cruise ship at this time based on the reactions coming forth from various countries. I would likely re-book for another time. A corona virus like this one should obviously be taken seriously, but it's important to remember that stuff like this makes sensational headlines on the news and stokes our innermost fears that leads to the assumption "what if it's me?"

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 09:11 PM

I am not trying to promote panic, hysteria or overreaction but when I see something that is newsworthy for the island, this forum and the people who use it, I try to post a link to it and let people decide for themselves. Hysteria absolutely does not help anything.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 11:19 PM

For those of us who read and contribute to this forum, I believe most of us are very grateful for the information posted on here. That's why we come to this forum. In my opinion, it's really the news media that often blows things far out of proportion and causes anxiety and fear to build within people. I truly despise the term 'fake news', because the news media plays a vital role in keeping the public informed. But, they sometimes 'overcook the goose' and perpetuate the negative side of things as opposed to presenting the entire story. My hope is exactly what ruralcarrier pointed to above ... that people will look into things further and decide for themselves whether to keep with their plans to visit St. Martin, or choose to do so at another time. I've been going to the websites for the Center of Infectious Diseases (CIDRAP) and the CDC website to gain information about COVID-19, and I believe it helps learning as much as you can before making a decision about cancelling upcoming plans.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/01/2020 11:36 PM

Very well stated.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 03/02/2020 02:37 AM

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/t...cted-of-coronavirus-have-tested-negative

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 04/06/2020 10:24 PM

Wow, what 35 days has done to this bag of viewpoints on/about the 1st of March.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 04/06/2020 11:31 PM

So incredible how the world has changed...we were enjoying el Zafiro and the Heineken Regatta last month at this time...
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 04/07/2020 01:57 AM

We hear you. A month ago we were having breakfast at the yacht club and walking Simpson Bay Beach with drinks at Karacter's.Not a Care in the World.We left on March 8th.

Re: French Couple Taken off Airport/Checked for Coronavirus - 04/07/2020 01:39 PM

We left on March 11th. Got home on 12th. Then all HELL broke loose. We felt the same way. Not a care. It was a wonderful vacation. We had been there in December as well. I have the Sunset Beach Cam on every day to watch the beautiful waves. Unreal.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline