TravelTalkOnline

A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US

Posted By: BillandElaine

A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 04:27 PM

I was told by a friend that their daughter and family were supposed to arrive today but cancelled because they were told when they returned to the states (or perhaps only FL) they would be quarantined for two weeks.

Can this be true?
Posted By: KenNDeb

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
I was told by a friend that their daughter and family were supposed to arrive today but cancelled because they were told when they returned to the states (or perhaps only FL) they would be quarantined for two weeks.

Can this be true?

I surely hope not Elaine. We leave on the 26th flying into Newark and renting a car to drive to Pennsylvania. Two week quarentine would sure put a damper on getting home.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine

Can this be true?

No it's not. Only for travelers returning from designated areas of Europe, Asia and others. SXM not included in that order. UK and Ireland will be added to list as of 12 midnight est Monday.

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 05:46 PM

I know that. Just asking what is actually happening because of the convo I had. Real experience.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 05:52 PM

Hello Bill & Elaine ... untrue. At least as of this past Tuesday it was. Landed at FLL and 90 minutes later we were through customs & immigration, and security (again), with our luggage checked-thru to Buffalo. We weren't even asked if we had been in Italy or Iran when we landed in Florida, but we were asked that at PJIA both coming and going.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 05:53 PM

So, at the Johns Hopkins world tracking site it correctly refers to St Martin, France. Is St Martin, France not France? If French citizens can travel to/from Paris CDG and PJIA that sounds like a European island. A real nice one, but a European island.

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 05:56 PM

Thank you Sammy!

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 07:49 PM

Yes St Martin is part of France but the US restriction is for mainland Europe countries.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 08:11 PM

Could be a state by state issue. I returned to RI yesterday. Governor Raimondo issued an executive order asking all people returning from a foreign country self quarantine for 14 days. No enforcement, she just expects people to obey it. I am not obeying it to the letter but I will avoid crowds. I will still shop and go to Dr. appts. Hopefully the gym is also open. Many businesses and medical offices have closed.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 08:16 PM

There is so much misinformation and no one knows what tomorrow will bring. IMHO stay close to home till this blows over.

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 08:23 PM

I would think a Gym would be a bad place to be especially with all the people that go from machine to machine and other hand held equipment unless you continually disinfect every piece you or someone else touched. I know that is protocol in a Gym but I've seen many people ignore it.
Posted By: JohnB

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 09:04 PM

we came back Tuesday through EWR no problem. All gyms, yoga studios and the like in PA are closed
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 10:24 PM

It depends on where you’re returning to. People in Rhode Island returning from any international travel are being ordered to self-quarantine for 14 days.

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/14/2020 10:58 PM

Yep, heard the same this from a RI folk on the island just now.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/16/2020 12:55 AM

Not all gyms in Pa are closed. I live in Lehigh County and was at my gym,LA fitness today. Pa. has restrictions in some other counties but has closed all schools statewide for at least 2 weeks.
Posted By: Hdrdr911

Re: A question for folks newly arrived on SXM from US - 03/16/2020 04:05 PM

A co worker of mine just returned from Bali, which while she was there had no cases at all, that they know of. Upon her return she was told that she could not come to the office for the foreseeable future . They did deliver her desk , chair, computer and all her files to her home and had a direct private data line installed to the company server so she is able to work from home. She is as well self quarantining.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline