TravelTalkOnline

Cancelling American Flights booked with miles

Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 12:50 PM

I'm wondering if all the usual policies are in effect or if American has made it easier to re use reward tickets. I know we can cancel for a fee and have the miles redeposited. Has anyone done this lately?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 01:07 PM

When are you flying?? If it's at least a couple of weeks from now, I would wait to see how things shake out. If AA cancels the flight, they will have to give you the miles back with no fee.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 02:30 PM

Looks like AA suspended all flights to St Maarten from CLT and MIA till May 6.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 02:42 PM

And PHL also.

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 02:45 PM

Yes I forgot to include that.

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 08:01 PM

THANKS! Good strategy Carol!
Posted By: bran

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
When are you flying?? If it's at least a couple of weeks from now, I would wait to see how things shake out. If AA cancels the flight, they will have to give you the miles back with no fee.

Plus the Tax Paid? Or just apply that to the next trip....
Posted By: eric

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 11:31 PM

I canceled a flight to Spain I booked with miles. AA said since I booked direct with them online they credited back all my miles and tax paid.
Posted By: bran

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/16/2020 11:54 PM

Thx Eric. Did you speak with them directly or do this online?
Posted By: vacanakey

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 12:05 AM

AA will provide a full refund for flights booked before 3/1/20 for travel through 4/30/20. I just receive a refund of my miles plus the taxes for a domestic flight I had to cancel last Friday.

Listen to this video at the 48 second mark.

news.aa.com/news/news-details/2020/Robert-Isom-Provides-Update-on-Coronavirus-OPS-DIS-03/?c=EML|AADV|20200312|ADV|MKT|SOLO||ChangeFeesExtended

Hope this hyperlink works.

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 12:26 AM

I find if you book directly with airlines and not use a travel svc ie expedia priceline the airline will not have to pay them commission they will be more likely issue a refund

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 03:58 PM

Sorry, but the hyperlink did not answer the question, we the OP asked. For those of you who were able to cancel flights booked with MILES, did you have to call in to AA or can you do it online?

Thanks
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 04:04 PM

Again, when are you flying??? If not right now, why don't you wait till closer to see if AA cancels the flight??

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 04:20 PM

My return is on miles returning May 28. Bought with cash to SXM arriving May 8. As Carol suggested I'm just going to wait till I see if inbound is canceled before I call to cancel my return on miles.

Re: Cancelling American Flights booked with miles - 03/17/2020 04:25 PM

I called busy told to call back another day kept calling and eventually got connected

Originally Posted by sxmbeachlover
Sorry, but the hyperlink did not answer the question, we the OP asked. For those of you who were able to cancel flights booked with MILES, did you have to call in to AA or can you do it online?

Thanks
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline