TravelTalkOnline

It's quiet

Posted By: Ritchard

It's quiet - 03/19/2020 02:56 PM

I know a lot of you are pretty stressed about travel and lodging uncertainty, but I will point out one side benefit of this situation.

It's quiet.

We're anchored in the French lagoon, and where there would normally be regular roar of jets taking off and turning south, droning of those little rhino touring dinghy boat things, whine of jetski tours, thumping music of the Lagoon Explorer day boat. There is none of this noise, and none of the constant sharp wakes of day boats and Anguilla ferries. There's even almost no dinghy traffic. A very different place.

We walked Charlie the island spaniel on Kim Sha this morning, and while some enterprising souls have put out some chairs, we had the whole beach pretty well to ourselves.

Peaceful St. Martin is a really different experience.

Attached picture Kim Sha March 19.png
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 03:08 PM

Thanks for the report and the picture. Amazing to see that beach totally empty.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 03:12 PM

too bad it takes a tragedy to make the beach look so fabulous.I just looked at the cams and Maho looks the same.
Posted By: kim

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 03:28 PM

Just be careful. As people get desperate crime will be on the rise.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 03:45 PM

It is like the 1980's when I fell in luv with SXM... 🌴 Thanks for the pic.
Posted By: Leagle49

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 04:41 PM

We're at teh SBR at the B pool. Most all this morning we were the only ones there. Really spooky. There are now a half dozen or so. No pool bar. La Patron and Juliette's will deliver and do take out.

Re: It's quiet - 03/19/2020 05:02 PM

Best wishes going home tomorrow.

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 06:48 PM

It's even quieter. Almost no boat traffic in the lagoon, few cars non the road.

Today at 1 pm at Kim Sha, there were no chairs about. I don't know if the authorities have dissuaded the placement of chairs, or if there simply is no market for them remaining.

Attached picture IMG_7857.jpeg

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 06:51 PM

Ritchard--I assume you are there for the relative duration, at this point? Thanks for the info and check in as you can, from time to time..

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Ritchard--I assume you are there for the relative duration, at this point? Thanks for the info and check in as you can, from time to time..

We'll be here until it's time to go to Grenada for storm season - presumably three to four months from now. As it stands, we can't really go anywhere because nearly every Caribbean country is closed to foreign vessels. I am feeling certain that policies will be put in place in the coming weeks allowing for vessels that have to get south for safety reasons.

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 07:50 PM

I am hoping to get back to SXM to close the villa for hurricane season.

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 09:21 PM

OK, I guess you will be our 'on the spot' reporter for quite a while there. Best wishes.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 09:41 PM

I assume you have plenty of provisions on your boat

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 09:55 PM

... or a good fishing rod?

Re: It's quiet - 03/21/2020 10:36 PM

If no one here is traveling to SXM in May, June, July, August, September that is when I say Babe (hubby) you need to go down to SXM and hurricane shutter the villa and bring home some of my favorite clothes in the closet...

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
I assume you have plenty of provisions on your boat

We have lots of food, and the stores remain open at this time.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 02:31 AM

You should be in good shape as long as alcohol holds out. cheers

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 12:59 PM

They sell alcohol at the grocery store in SXM and the grocery stores are still open and they will be. Huhm, you can't buy liquor in Florida, except at liquor stores. Wine they sell at the grocery store, yes, but not liquor. Huhm…. Maybe I need to go buy some more rum..
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 01:18 PM

I had the same thought a couple of days ago. I checked my rum and vodka stocks, and i think i'm good for at least 6 months or more! LOL. I just wish it was as inexpensive here as it is on SXM. smile
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 02:55 PM

A good preventative action would be daily gargle with a shot of rum and do a rinse with some wine. Working for me. banana
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 03:54 PM

If your liquor stock will last 6 months or more, you obviously aren't drinking enough drinking

dance

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 03:57 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking!!! grin

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 04:25 PM

Sunset beach bar area has no one on beach. Beach looks great!

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 04:25 PM

Sunset beach bar area has no one on beach. Beach looks great!

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 04:26 PM

If anyone that is in SXM could post pix of beaches, resorts etc. ,I am sure the rest of us would love to see whats going on.

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
A good preventative action would be daily gargle with a shot of rum and do a rinse with some wine. Working for me. banana

It's science.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 05:57 PM

Ummm... we're staying home.

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by CaribLee
If your liquor stock will last 6 months or more, you obviously aren't drinking enough drinking

dance

Maybe, like me, they've stocked up on 8 Euro a litre Mount Gay and 4.45 Euro a litre Gibsons (bathtub) gin. I'm getting low on Carib though.
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: It's quiet - 03/22/2020 07:35 PM

LOL, i thought that was a decent amount of Bacardi and Tito's. I have enough other stuff to start my own bar! ........... But after all, i ain't as good as i once was! toast Cheers!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline