TravelTalkOnline

Grocery Delivery SXM

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 10:26 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE

CARREFOUR FACEBOOK DELIVERY POLICY
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 10:41 AM

And a $75 minimum paid with CC via WhatsApp will help those who truly need assistance how?
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 10:50 AM

I'm thinking they might be limiting orders to $75 minimum in order to keep the orders to a manageable number. If they are overwhelmed by a large numbers of "1 loaf of bread and 1 dozen eggs", the number of orders would be so great, that they wouldn't be able to accommodate the customers. Some people may not be able to get out, or consider themselves at a higher risk and choose to order over the phone for the delivery. A $5 delivery fee seems more than reasonable, I doubt you could drive there and back to your residence for a lower cost due to the gas prices. Unless I misunderstood your question, in which case I apologize in advance.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 10:55 AM

I saw another store had a $50 minimum. Kam's Foodworld I believe?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 10:57 AM

In case you meant your post for me:

It is meant for "necessities" . Unless you have a huge family $75 is a lot of necessities.

We can't drive anywhere, we cannot leave our homes. My point is the people they (the government) say they want to help will probably not be able to get anything from this. It's not for me who ran out of carrots and leeks this week.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:04 AM

Listen to this. URGENT NEED

https://www.facebook.com/SXMGOV/videos/220756059014155/?epa=SEARCH_BOX
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:13 AM

What about those who can not afford that? What about the illegals who can not ask for assistance?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:34 AM

I can not address who can afford what, just posting a link to information. As far as "illegals", being "illegals" has consequences and this may be one of them.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:37 AM

Illegals are allowed to fill out the form for assistance, if they have access to a computer. Many won't.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:40 AM

Sounds like allowances are being made the best as possible under the conditions.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 11:43 AM

This is day #2 not thinking day #14 will look as good!

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 12:06 PM

Who knows, but a lot will depend on how people approach things and conduct themselvs.
Posted By: kim

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
This is day #2 not thinking day #14 will look as good!

Wendy - are you on island now? Your place is on the French side correct?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 12:27 PM

No I am not on the island now... I have a villa on the Dutch side.
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by BillandElaine
In case you meant your post for me:

It is meant for "necessities" . Unless you have a huge family $75 is a lot of necessities.

We can't drive anywhere, we cannot leave our homes. My point is the people they (the government) say they want to help will probably not be able to get anything from this. It's not for me who ran out of carrots and leeks this week.

Yes, Bill. I was just trying to analyze why they would set the minimum at $75, and apparently mistook your post for something different than what your query was. Since I already apologized in my first reply, I will be happy to do so again-Sorry.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 06:41 PM

No, no. It's ok. Just wasn't sure you were asking me. I don't know why it is set so high. Have seen other shops with minimum 40 or 50 but cash only.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 06:45 PM

Market Garden has a 25.00 min with a 5.00 delivery charge.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/07/2020 07:10 PM

Good to hear , but they are more expensive than Carrefour .

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 12:10 PM

If Carrefour & Market Garden can deliver why not the pizza restaurants or other fast food-restaurants that always delivered?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 12:29 PM

If Carrefour & Market Garden can deliver why not the pizza restaurants or other fast food-restaurants that always delivered?

Ask the SXM government or Prime Minister.

Government Administration Building
Soualuiga Road #1
Pond Island, Great Bay
​St. Maarten

Telephone Numbers

+ (721)-542-0349
+(721)-542-0640

+(721)-542-0651

+(721)-542-2026
Posted By: kim

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 12:34 PM

Fayad which I think is a distributor to restaurants is doing delivery as well. Here is their recent post

Attached picture 96E54043-324D-46FE-881C-D4A220DAE8CA.jpeg
Posted By: pat

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 12:56 PM

You have to draw the line somewhere. Basic cooking foods and medications are necessary. Pizza? Not so much! If you want people to stay home, don’t give them any more excuses to be out and about than they can already come up with.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 01:38 PM

Up until today, April 7, 2020, 3444 of almost 5000 forms reflect a need for assistance in procuring food. This is a very serious need that we have been planning for and therefore, you can look forward to getting assistance in one form or the other, either with food boxes or with food vouchers within short.

http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Press...n-COVID19-Developments-APRIL-7-2020.aspx

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 03:30 PM

Food and hygiene packages started going out on Monday.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 03:32 PM

That is good news. Hope they keep it up.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 03:35 PM

Hope they reach everyone.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 07:34 PM

IF anything starts going out on Monday, it is too little too late for those in desperate need. So sad the PM didn't think this through!!!

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 07:37 PM

Not sure why you addressed this to me but Elaine implied the packages started (as in past tense) going out Monday, which I assume would have been April 6. Perhaps Elaine can clarify.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/08/2020 07:38 PM

READ Elaine's post--she said food had started going out to those in need this past Monday.
Posted By: irina

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 12:14 AM

Wow. Everyone getting a little testy. Let's take a moment for a breath.
I am in Miami, a terrible place to be in good times.
No one masks, they throw the dirty gloves on the street.
People pushing and shoving for unemployment $$$.
No social distancing. Spreading this dreadful disease everywhere.
We do not leave our apt.
Hard times for all.
Chill!
Sorry Carol!
irina

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 03:29 PM

Has any TTOLer's in SXM had a grocery delivery since the shutdown? I am having Fed Ex deliver packages to me and trying to stay sane!

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 03:34 PM

Currently awaiting delivery from Maho Market in Beacon Hill. Fedex flies every day.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 03:58 PM

Sounds good... stay well.
When travel opens up would like to rent a car from you. https://kennyscarrental.com/

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 05:20 PM

We have been waiting for 2 days, after we followed the rules for submitting our order to Carrefour via WhatsAPP. We have heard NOTHING. I doubt if the system has ever been functional and remains broken.

Here is the link: https://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-...-neighboring-islands-and-to-clients.html

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 06:31 PM

Sounds good... stay well.
When travel opens up would like to rent a car from you. https://kennyscarrental.com/

Thanks very much and we received our bags at noon.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/09/2020 06:40 PM

Hopefully you get some provisions. This is also likely the first time for the "system" and I imagine it is overwhelmed. Good luck.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 12:23 PM

NO Delivery Good Friday and Easter Sunday...

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 12:40 PM

Maria and Steve--hopefully you received your delivery by now?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 01:06 PM

No Carol. No groceries. I talked with the government and they said there are over 1,000 people waiting for groceries. We don't expect to receive anything in the near future. Kennys lives in a better area for grocery service, it seems. Locals are getting more and more desperate as the days drag on.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 01:08 PM

He ordered from a different store also. Perhaps that is a difference?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 01:17 PM

One friend of ours sent their order to EVERY store on the list and has not received a reply from anyone. It has been 3 days for them as well and they continued sending the order out every day. The locals, who are not on boats, have been heavily complaining on the government website too, about NOT getting an answer from grocery stores. The system is definitely broken.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 02:35 PM

Well, THERE I think is part of the problem. Your friends are part of the problem rather than the solution. Most everyone is probably doing the same thing and overloading the system.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Well, THERE I think is part of the problem. Your friends are part of the problem rather than the solution. Most everyone is probably doing the same thing and overloading the system.

Yes. Just like the people over buying supplies like toilet paper.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 03:30 PM

According to a private message I received from SXM government, via FB, they told me to try ALL the stores. That is the official SXM Government reply and that method does not work either.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 03:45 PM

That just magnifies the problem.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 03:51 PM

Considering that The Dutch Side of SXM is the ONLY island in the entire Eastern Caribbean to TOTALLY close ALL grocery stores to the public and ONLY institute a broken online ordering method, I cannot defend or rely on the PM/Government actions whatsoever.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 04:55 PM

Is part of the problem for you to get deliveries is that you are on the water verses land?

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 05:03 PM

No, that is not the problem since we are in the marina. Boats on the water can get deliveries to the nearest point of land IF the system were working at all which it is NOT. Locals are also complaining in huge numbers about grocery stores being locked down and closed tight, along with not being able to get necessary food and that the online system is not working at all.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 05:31 PM

Try Peli Deli Grocery?

Attached picture image.png

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 05:35 PM

Not open. EVERYTHING is CLOSED. Just heard they are talking about SXM on the US TV news stations now. The locals on SXM equate the current PM of SXM to the leader of Suriname who is a dictator. Things are rapidly spiraling out of control. Where are the Dutch Marines, oh, still haven't been sent yet. frown

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/articl...ral-caribbean-video-message-sint-maarten

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 05:40 PM

Gov. Holiday Good Friday so even grocery stores are closed today but will reopen Saturday for delivery only.

I am so glad I am not in SXM now and I might never go back!

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 05:52 PM

It had to be done as residents weren't following social distancing and some are still defying curfew orders. Residents had ample warning to get prepared.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 06:13 PM

Easy for you to say with 6 months of food in your freezer and your State is passed the curve. I can go to the food market with a mask on and can walk miles on a dirt road. This was supposed to be two weeks but the goal post keeps moving.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 06:32 PM

We still have to get fresh fruits and vegetables but only do that once every 7 to 10 days. Our stay at home order will be over 30 days with extensions coming.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 06:38 PM

I see Prime has a pre packaged bag/box for $30.00 and free delivery. Might want to look into that instead of ordering a shopping list of specific items which would be less time consuming for the stores to fill.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 10:26 PM

Prime $75. Min

Posted By: Julius

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/10/2020 11:37 PM

New ordering procedure:

[Linked Image]

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/11/2020 01:35 AM

Thanks.

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/11/2020 02:14 AM

Free pizza more than covers the delivery charge.
Posted By: SXMBND

Re: Grocery Delivery SXM - 04/11/2020 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
I can not address who can afford what, just posting a link to information. As far as "illegals", being "illegals" has consequences and this may be one of them.

clapping
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline