TravelTalkOnline

Stores Going out of Business/Expect More

Posted By: ruralcarrier

Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 09:49 AM

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE

I would seriously question the 16% stated unemployment rate. I would guess it to be perhaps 3 times that if not more.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 12:04 PM

The retail stores in Philipsburg have second locations in St.Thomas. Many jewelry stores, Boolchands, Little Switzerland and others. I would think they would bring their inventory to St. Thomas and close the Philipsburg location temporarily till business picks up and more tourists return. St. Thomas seems to be attracting more Americans at the moment being a U.S island?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 12:08 PM

...and (USVI) no COVID test required from 10% and below weekly average states.....and testing if needed has to be done 5 days prior to trip

Just booked an exchange at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove for mid-October....only worry is storms. I can deal with that
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 01:03 PM

She admitted that the unemployment rate is probably much higher, but I wonder why their methods of keeping track are that bad? A lot of the stores on Front Street were just scraping by after Irma.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
She admitted that the unemployment rate is probably much higher, but I wonder why their methods of keeping track are that bad? A lot of the stores on Front Street were just scraping by after Irma.

Correct, I saw that but I would guess 16% is WAY low. Could it be that unless one works for the government, employment is not that closely tracked? No idea but 16% can not even be close at all. I saw where some of the businesses got some help for payroll but that is not at all the same as a thriving or even mediocre business.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 01:47 PM

Yeah, I'm sure the number is way low. Is there even unemployment pay in SXM? I don't know.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 01:52 PM

No idea and it may depend on if one works for a local company, is self-employed, etc. There was an article or link a short time ago and it showed some local businesses getting some help for payroll. Now, who knows if they actually got the $$ and if it went to employees. I did see a couple of business names I recognized.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 02:49 PM

I found this... https://www.ssrp.sx/unemployed/ It is dated April 2020 but addresses some aid?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 02:59 PM

And this won't help either.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...mplete-closure-of-entertainment-industry

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 03:35 PM

What is the definition of a bar?

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 03:37 PM

A possibility but that does nothing to help the employees in SXM. I doubt a store in St. Thomas could double their sales to make up for the loss in SXM.

The other link you provided is appreciated but I saw a different link (I think in the Daily Herald) that actually gave a breakdown of the named businesses who received some payroll help.

Thanks.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 03:52 PM

I would think a long table with a server preparing drinks on one side and customers sitting on other side. Like a lot of SXM places have. Example would be toppers.
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 03:56 PM

Toppers is a restaurant with a bar. Not a stand alone bar.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 04:07 PM

Trying not to bring politics/ religion to this post but when Cuomo banned bars from opening and a bar opened with no food, Cuomo called it a bar. The owner immediately started serving food and named the food: Cuomo fries or something like that!
Posted By: wilsonck

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 04:10 PM

Yeah, I saw that. He was serving Cuomo Chips for $1.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 04:14 PM

"Cuomo Chips" that was it but Cuomo said it ain't gonna count as food! LOL

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 04:54 PM

Correct but they could ban just serving drinks or serving at the Bar area at Toppers or any other like establishment. Lots to be considered before a ruling is made.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 05:39 PM

Who knows what it is in SXM. In MA, with the latest order from the Governor, a bar is apparently an establishment that serves alcohol, but does not serve food which is prepared on the premises. Regs here require food to be served when alcohol is first ordered. Some places were skirting the regs by serving a bag of chips. (Similarly, in NY, they were calling them Cuomo Chips.) Here, I predict an increase in the sale of Hot Dog Machines and Frozen Microwaveable Sandwiches.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 06:19 PM

The chip and salsa was just a way to you know what! If I owned a bar/ pub an easy fix to a kitchen is a big deep fryer. Who doesn't like fried food ( Fried mushrooms, shrimp, cauliflower, chicken strips, mozzarella sticks, fish and chips. No waste if all is frozen in a big freezer and served in plastic baskets with a paper liner.

Re: Stores Going out of Business/Expect More - 08/13/2020 06:22 PM

" I predict an increase in the sale of Hot Dog Machines and Frozen Microwaveable Sandwiches"
Yes. True St Maarten gourmet local cuisine. LOL
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline