TravelTalkOnline

Remove the blocks on the border

Posted By: sxmmartini

Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 01:36 AM

Come Friday there is a hurricane computer model that has a major hurricane hitting the islands. People have to have free movement on both sides of the island to prepare for what maybe a disaster.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 01:55 AM

Let’s hope no hurricane but remembering the lawlessness and anarchy followed by looting from hurricane Irma maybe better if they keep the border lockdown or controlled. The island governments don’t seem to learn from past mistakes but hopefully the next major hurricane they will prepare better to protect its residents.
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:16 AM

Which storm are you referring to?
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:20 AM

And what info are you projecting this on?

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:46 AM

Invest 95L cloud
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 09:33 AM

Way to early to be panicking about that one yet.

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 12:50 PM

Yes it is a wait and see at this moment!

Attached picture FA66E71C-F09C-4DEE-AC73-1D78E7A0085E.png
Posted By: jeepers

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 01:14 PM

Friend on French side says border opening next week. Hope so.🤞
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:20 PM

It was recently extended until September 15, to be reviewed then. I think they're still bound by what France decides?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by GaKaye
It was recently extended until September 15, to be reviewed then. I think they're still bound by what France decides?

I was looking for confirmation of that date as it was what I thought as well for a revisit to the situation. Yes, they are bound by France unless something can be done to override their laws.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:35 PM

Yup, Sept 15 is the current date, which is next week. As to reopening the border, my feeling is that is related to this talk of requiring a second Covid test on island. My personal feeling is that the Dutch side will start requiring that, so that will be yet ANOTHER thing to make it more difficult for tourists to come. And then the border will reopen or not. My bet would be that the Prefet will still not reopen the border, so it will be for nothing...

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:54 PM

They are keeping the borders closed till October 1st now!

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 02:58 PM

Was there an announcement today?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 03:09 PM

No official word as yet, they don't usually announce until just before the end of the two week mandate. But rumor has it it will be extended to October 1.

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
They are keeping the borders closed till October 1st now!

Official link please.
Posted By: BeachKitten

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Yup, Sept 15 is the current date, which is next week. As to reopening the border, my feeling is that is related to this talk of requiring a second Covid test on island. My personal feeling is that the Dutch side will start requiring that, so that will be yet ANOTHER thing to make it more difficult for tourists to come. And then the border will reopen or not. My bet would be that the Prefet will still not reopen the border, so it will be for nothing...

A second test and expense is ridiculous! If I had a test and came to the island negative....then if I get it, it's from there! Duh! Are they requiring everyone on the Dutch side who lives there to be tested twice? No. It is targeting a population that they want $$$ from IMO.

IF the French border was open, that would be a good reason to stay over there....

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 06:25 PM

We now have possibly three hurricanes at the same time in the next couple days... Paulette heading to Bermuda, Sally in the Gulf of Mexico and Teddy bears the direction of SXM.
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 06:48 PM

Actually 95L is predicted to move westward and then sharply northward. Sure still to early to tell, but so is saying that the islands will be impacted by this storm

Attached picture Screenshot_20200912-204341_Samsung Internet.jpg

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 09:44 PM

It's now TD 20, but as you say, it is predicted to go north now, and be a fish storm.

Re: Remove the blocks on the border - 09/12/2020 10:19 PM

Hope that holds true.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline