TravelTalkOnline

whats it like now

Posted By: bobg

whats it like now - 10/30/2020 12:41 AM

havn't been to sxm for 18 years, would like to go again, I've been to Orient beach at several of the hotels along there, stayed at papayagoes sp, le Host, and a few other places, went there 4 times, always got 2 hotels per trip, I'm a little far removed from my experiences, but would like to stay on the french side along Orient Beach, take a trip to tintamare,sp, and Green Key, did do the random wind once, went to st Barts, Anquilla, cupacoy,sp, for day trips, I don't know, are these choices still out there? what do you regulars recommend, been so long I can't even spell these places anymore, thank you,
Posted By: Rasputin

Re: whats it like now - 10/30/2020 01:33 AM

Your questions seem to be a bit out of context considering everything going on. When are you thinking of going?
In case you haven't heard, there is a world-wide Pandemic going on called COVID-19.
There are travel restrictions and requirements on all islands in the Caribbean including SXM.
There are a lot of places that are not even open.
Maybe you should read some of the other posts, just a suggestion.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: whats it like now - 10/30/2020 02:44 AM

I agree with Rasputin. Lots of changes over 18 years and restrictions due to covid.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: whats it like now - 10/30/2020 03:03 AM

The island is open, but you have to jump through a few hoops to get there. Many places are closed, but there are plenty that are open and could use your business if you are lucky to get there. I can’t speak for the French side but there are plenty of threads here that can give you updates on what is available. Quite a few of the things you mentioned are still around and available, so I would think that you could plan a trip that seems familiar to you.
Posted By: bobg

Re: whats it like now - 10/31/2020 01:46 AM

yes I know everything is going on with covid.. who doesn't, I do not have a specific time to go, was wondering about the state of the island so I can start thinking about it for when the world gets back to normal, My new girlfriend was asking me about sxm and would like to go someday, I realized I don't know it like I used to so I thought I would ask fellow members of this board, looks like most regulars are holding off from going? I did read a recent trip report and thought within health protocols people are going again. Thank you bdeeley for your helpful answer. after research I see club orient is closed, and could find no internet reference of Le Host where I used to stay, I dunno, thought I would just ask
Posted By: Tom

Re: whats it like now - 10/31/2020 01:05 PM

I think your assessment of the status of the island is accurate. The Covid has really weakened the hurricane recovery and until the cruise ships can return many stores and shops remain closed. I am sure the restaurants that are open will appreciate any business they get as you would expect. Orient as you remember it, is no longer a resort and while there are still some visitors to the beach, the clean up and restoration of that area is a monumental task that is additionally hurt by an ongoing dispute. Hopefully time will cure many of SXM's problems and it will return as a great vacation spot.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: whats it like now - 10/31/2020 02:29 PM

We're returning for our usual three weeks next month; we stay on the Dutch side, so I can't help you with information on La Hoste. I do know that La Playa is opening in November, I think the 17th is the date. The larger beach bars along Orient beach have reopened after Irma, and are opening on weekends with the covid situation. I expect as high season arrives they'll be open daily as usual, but that's just a guess. Restaurants in Grand Case are reopening after utility work on the Boulevard closed the street for a couple of weeks. Others have mentioned that Orient Village has a number of excellent restaurants, and they are open. I'll report our findings here while we're on the island.
Posted By: islandgem

Re: whats it like now - 11/01/2020 11:19 PM

I believe the former La Hoste is now La Playa. It changed a .couple of years ago and is now owned by Bruno who was the owner of Dreams until the hurricane demolished it. He also has a beach bar and restaurant adjacent to the resort.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline