TravelTalkOnline

Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7

Posted By: bonz1946

Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/21/2020 06:58 PM

We stay ay Oyster Bay Beach Resort and are not sure yet if we're going to SXM in 2021..We moved 3 years ago from suburban Chicago to Hallandale Beach, Florida!
As for the talk of spiraling Covid cases in Florida, understand that FL is the 3 most populated state in America and if you stay away from the congested areas and follow the science (wear mask, social distance, etc.), you will be fine! joy
Our question is: when do we need to give notice to OBBR (30 day notice?) if we do decide to not go in 2021? We are leaning toward going but, are weighing all the pros and cons before we make that final decision. If we don't go, we surely will bank our week and double up in 2022!
Needless to say, the weather where we live is lovely but, we love SXM and it's a nice change of pace. We are sad to see our old state of Illinois is now getting hit very hard by Covid and we hope the best for them. clapping
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/21/2020 07:13 PM

I think you need to contact them directly and ask. Sounds like you're using a timeshare reservation.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/21/2020 09:25 PM

We are also owners at OBBR and the reservation that you receive states a 90 days notice for cancellation. That has been on the reservation for years and it is not to say that they are not being more lenient these days. I would certainly call them and ask what your options are. We are trying very hard to go this year and hope to be there January 8th.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/22/2020 02:01 AM

We own at OBBR and had to cancel our plans twice this year because of Covid and had no problem at all. We were told that because of Covid.
Normally if you are going to bank, you have to call them buy Sept. 15. They were very nice and told they are looking forward to us
re-booking in 2021, I would call them s soon as you have a new date.
Posted By: badbenni

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/22/2020 02:26 PM

You are safer here in St Maarten than in USA now. That's all I will say as to what you should do as to coming or not.
Posted By: ScottW

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/22/2020 03:23 PM

For our group, it has nothing to do with feeling safe while we are in St Maarten. We have 8 of us, including 2 young grand kids. The uncertainty of the testing and travel headaches make it difficult for us to make the commitment for our usual February trip. The other issue is the ability (or inability) to get adequate medical care if a covid issue comes up. What if one of use test positive right before we are scheduled to leave? What if the French side closes the border again? We would not be able to get to the villa. If it was just 2 of us, we might be more inclined to take the financial risk.

Our plan was to go for 3 weeks this year. Out of the blue we received an email yesterday from the house keeper at the villa we rent. She wanted to know how we are doing and if we would be coming. I wish I could tell her yes.

We are going to wait to make the decision. If the villa gets rented in the meantime., it will be our loss. We've been every year since 2004. Our villa was not heavily damaged in the hurricane, so we did not miss that year.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/23/2020 03:57 AM

Understandable. Tough decision.
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/23/2020 01:42 PM

just got back, what shame, Divi at 25 % capacity, just a guess, but certainly pretty close IMO.
And front street was worse than i anticipated Re: closed businesses
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/23/2020 02:14 PM

bizzottom--would appreciate hearing about your trip, when you can.
Posted By: K8*

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 12:55 AM

Tough decisions being made this year by everyone. We just jumped through hoops and several flight cancellations to arrive on the island. Canadian Covid test results arrive in 24 hrs even though media writes that it takes 2 to 4 days. EHAS authorization returned from SXM within 30 mins. All looked good. Then Mother Nature dumps season’s first rain, hail, snowstorm on Toronto. Our flight made it to Newark last night with crazy turbulence. This morning United Airlines flew us down to the island, I saw social distancing and mask wearing all through the airports. And what a great welcome at SXM. Our car rental driver even sprayed the luggage handles before he touched them. Delighted to be back in our happy place for the season. To each his own. But I’d rather be here with Covid rules and sunshine than be at home following rules with bleak weather.
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 02:22 AM

came back last week - 65 active infections in a population of 80,000 - summer like conditions with outdoor dining - hand sanitizer everywhere - virus screening before being allowed to board a plane - border closures are not going to happen again (reflective ot the uncertainty of the virus in the early days) - go have a good time and support the good people
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 02:33 AM

You can't guarantee no boarder closures. Only the government that controls it make those decisions.
Posted By: 320sycamore

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 02:36 AM

I see your point except it seems very unlikely the government would become more restrictive at a time they are lessening the travel restrictions
Posted By: tdl

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 09:46 PM

K8. I have a question for you. We live near Ottawa and are planning on flying to SXM on January 31. We already have our flights booked with Westjet. Where did you get your Covid test? I think we can get one at some of the pharmacies near us. One of the stipulations is that you have to be planning on travelling out of the country. My wife had to get a Covid test earlier this year. We got her results from the https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ website. Is this sufficient to prove to SXM that we got the test? Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 - 11/24/2020 11:14 PM

Thanks for your positive comments.
© 2021 TravelTalkOnline