TravelTalkOnline

Orient Beach

Posted By: boucharda

Orient Beach - 01/13/2021 07:52 PM

We haven't used the chairs/umbrellas since pre-Irma and decided to give it a try today. Very easy parking right in front of the destroyed villas. Of the 30 or so yellow umbrella/chairs combos there were maybe three available when we arrived...and soon all were filled ($15 for the combo). Comfortable experience....windy but minimized the baking effect. Happy hour (bell rung) from 130-230p...two fer's on drinks...a real happy "hour"

It started looking iffy around 230p so we bailed out before the rains hit....and they did

We will return.....easier than the Happy Bay mountain climb...but that also will have to be done
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Orient Beach - 01/13/2021 08:09 PM

I was there in August 2019. No happy hour bell.

Also, I noticed that EVERYBODY at the deck tables seemed to be "local." They were all dressed in street clothes, and all seemed to know each other. And they weren't drinking or eating. So it was more like a local hangout. Regardless, I'm more of a BYOB guy anyway. Costs a lot less and you don't have to get up for a refill. drinking

Just something I noticed, because I hadn't seen that type of crowd at any beach establishment on island in previous visits. Inland, yeah. That's actually the crowd that I look for when hungry/thirsty. Locals know the hotspots. But at the beach, I expect to see more tourists in beachwear than locals in street clothes.

Re: Orient Beach - 01/13/2021 11:04 PM

My error.... when I mentioned the parking in front of the destroyed buildings I meant we relaxed in the CO section with the yellow umbrellas. The only locals I saw were running the bar and collecting the chair money. Maybe one couple under the 'brellas were suited...everyone else was au naturel .

...and a totally different thought, We just (a tad before 7pm) walked around the Bay/Beach side of the Flamingo. It looks really nice and the beach looks huge with Topper's and the construction stuff gone. I should also add that I can't figure how the restaurants we walked by can exist....either zero patrons (Juliett's Bistro) or one table (Isola) or three tables occupied (La Patrona) ...Repay closed . No open hours posted anywhere
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 02:38 AM

You were referring to happy hour at the Perch, I assume. Unfortunately, not all drinks are two-for-one's, but that's okay. Still a great value. The challenge for me was how to keep my second bottle of Corona (no pun intended) cold while polishing off the first bottle of beer. BTW, it was two bottles of beer for $5. And, love the Happy Bay Beach mountain climb is one of the awesome experiences on the island! What a scene when you reach the end and it opens up into the lovely Happy Bay Beach. Plus, you'll meet a large iguana or two along the way. Just wear decent shoes or sneakers.

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 11:47 AM

Last year we did the Happy Bay climb MANY times and the highest iguana count we got was 68...one way. We will give it a go again soon and yes it was the Perch but there was no sign so I wasn't sure of the name....still $5/two beers

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 11:54 AM

An addendum to my empty restaurant comment. The occupied table at Isola I saw yesterday was on the outside pizzeria deck. I walked by the main restaurant just now and it obviously is under construction...nothing inside except for plywood on the floor
Posted By: SXMbeacher

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 02:47 PM

The first time we did the Happy Bay walk, no one warned us about the iguana's. Not far onto the path a monster of an iguana moved in the trees and scared the crap out of us. BTW, we walked it in flip flops and it wasn't that bad if you watch where your walking real close.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 03:55 PM

Where do we park to do the Happy Bay walk?
Posted By: BillDauterive

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 04:02 PM

Park at Friar's and walk up the hill on the far side.
Posted By: bonsie

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 04:26 PM

Thx Bill

Re: Orient Beach - 01/14/2021 06:39 PM

Gonna do the Iguana count tomorrow....

Should add a pic of Grand Case taken today after our great lunch of ribs....

Attached picture 20210114_142926.jpg
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Orient Beach - 01/15/2021 03:01 PM

As far as I know, Iguanas are vegetarians, so you probably scared him/her. I've never heard of anyone getting bitten by their tiny teeth. Through the years, there have been occasional robberies on the walk, so we never take valuables when we go there, just some cash for lunch. Wish we were there now!!!
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Orient Beach - 01/15/2021 03:01 PM

Oh dear!!!! Missing SXM!!!
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: Orient Beach - 01/15/2021 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by sxmbeachlover
As far as I know, Iguanas are vegetarians, so you probably scared him/her. I've never heard of anyone getting bitten by their tiny teeth.

Yes, Iguanas are 100% veggie and non-aggressive. However they do clim trees and have been known to, ahem, drop some bombs. I seem to be a favorite target and always have
to be looking up to make sure one of the scaly ones isn't sizing me up for target practice! grin
Posted By: Cincinnati_Kid

Re: Orient Beach - 01/15/2021 05:24 PM

I was on Renaissance Island, Aruba, in a lounge chair, eating a hamburger, when a passing iguana leaped onto my chest and took a bite out of my hamburger. I grabbed it with both hands and threw it off of me. I then led it down the beach holding out the rest of my hamburger until it was too far down the beach to jump me again !!! True story. My hands bled just a bit from it tough skin. True story !!!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Orient Beach - 01/15/2021 05:28 PM

Mercy!! That's a scary tale!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline