TravelTalkOnline

Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine

Posted By: Mikel

Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/14/2021 10:08 AM

My wife sent me a picture yesterday of a new machine that they were testing at Dawn Beach. The machine supposedly extracts just the seaweed and leaves the sand behind. It broke down during the process. I'll bet it wasn't meant for that volume of seaweed, just normal cleanup.

Attached picture IMG_0523.JPEG
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/14/2021 12:18 PM

They had one in Grand Cayman that actually did a great job
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/14/2021 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear it broke down, but hopefully they can get it going. Dawn Beach has had a HUGE problem with seaweed recently. Personally, I wouldn't book there, because it seems like it is a problem there, more often than not.
Posted By: eilandmens

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/14/2021 05:46 PM

They have had similar machine for decades at the Jersey shore towns. They run them every morning in season.
Posted By: NeilRooney

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/14/2021 11:48 PM

It looks like it might be a Barber Surf Rake, link below:

Barber Surf Rake Website
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/15/2021 01:11 AM

No, I’m sure it’s a Cherrington 5500 by Beach-Tech. Like Barber, they manufacture large beach cleaning equipment. The model pictured is self-propelled.

Cherrington 5500
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/15/2021 10:47 AM

Yes, there is a Beach-Tech sign on the back of it. As a follow-up, the problem Saturday was apparently with a fuel line but it has been fixed and the machine is being used, but can only remove just so much on each pass.
As far as Dawn Beach seaweed goes, the first 4 weeks that I was there, it was minimal and mostly manageable by hand. The last 2 weeks, the volume increased but has now subsided again.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/22/2021 01:23 PM

Story about this in the Daily Herald today. Link
Posted By: sxmbeachlover

Re: Dawn Beach Seaweed Removal Machine - 03/22/2021 01:44 PM

Good to know!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline