TravelTalkOnline

Mobile Wifi

Posted By: Todd

Mobile Wifi - 04/05/2021 05:15 PM

I am looking for a mobile wifi unit that I can rent or purchase that works on island. Something that really works, proven. I know there used to be Scarlett but that seems to be no more.

Need to work from island and don't want to be restricted to places that have wifi, I will need it for two weeks here starting April 16th range and then again in Nov/Dec for three weeks. Cost is a factor but solid connection and plenty of time online is the key.

Thank you in advance,
Todd
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/05/2021 07:36 PM

Todd, Scarlet is now Coral I believe.

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/06/2021 12:51 AM

I have left a message with them, hopefully hear from them this week.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/06/2021 05:13 AM

I have T Mobile. Made a few calls over the three weeks...some were not wifi calls. .25 cents/minute. My bill that i just got today was a whopping $4.50 in excess charges. Not bad, and it worked on both sides of the island.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/06/2021 04:51 PM

Todd isn't talking about making phone calls; he needs a reliable internet connection.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/06/2021 05:23 PM

Assuming Scarlett is Coral, we used Scarlett when it was that and it worked GREAT!

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/11/2021 03:55 PM

Coral does not offer a mobile wifi device. I was able to get Verizon to get me 2GB per day per phone. There is an XOXOwifi product that may work, we have not had good luck with Skyroam on island so hesitate to try xoxowifi but possibly others have had success with it.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/11/2021 11:25 PM

Todd, if you need, we have a mobile office here.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/12/2021 09:28 AM

Todd - I really don't know what I am talking about so this may not work. But could you get a Chippie SIM card, sign up for their "wifi everywhere," and then make your phone a hot spot that your computer connects to?

Re: Mobile Wifi - 04/12/2021 06:07 PM

Linda - I have thought of that and when on island I will discuss that option in person with one of the carriers. I would be fine with getting a plan and buying a phone or mifi device for the year as long as it doesn't throttle down after limited data use.

btw - xoxo does not rent on SXM and only ships to Europe.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline