TravelTalkOnline

Golf?

Posted By: Muffinmn58

Golf? - 04/10/2021 04:13 PM

Is there a golf course on the island? I know that there was one years ago but it was out of business for awhile.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 05:52 PM

There is a golf course, yes. Not sure about the current condition.
Posted By: kccouple

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 06:23 PM

always a sad looking coarse
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 06:53 PM

It's the best looking course on the island!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
It's the best looking course on the island!

Hahaha. Good one. đź‘Ť
Posted By: kim

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 08:23 PM

Many many people play it. There are groups on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s that are die hards. It lost its irrigation system in 1995. If you get a lot of rain, play right after! If you can enjoy playing and are ok with rough conditions. Go for it!!
Posted By: SXMBrad

Re: Golf? - 04/10/2021 08:26 PM

Golfed it several times in February and March, more enjoyable after some rain. Couple hundred bucks for a twosome with a cart.
Posted By: Karl John

Re: Golf? - 04/12/2021 02:56 PM

Not the best conditions, but certainly a beautiful track/ layout. I walk each morning in February while I spend my annual 2 weeks in paradise. I always tell people, its better than any course in Cleveland at that time.
Certainly a nice diversion, and always a great way to start the day. Lots of fond memories having played since 1995.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Golf? - 04/12/2021 03:07 PM

As an avid golfer I can honestly tell you (like the others above) it's a tough go of it on St. Maarten. Like Kim said above, go after it has rained (for a few days). It usually greens up a bit more, but not much. Not like the bent grass golf courses up north, but more of coarse bermuda grass that is typically used in hotter climates. If it's been dry for while on the island, the only green coloration you will see will be on the greens themselves. But, the goal when golfing here isn't to shoot a great score or beat my friends, but just to enjoy myself outdoors with something else to do on SXM! Afterwards, you can take a dip Mullet Bay to cool off.
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Golf? - 04/12/2021 06:04 PM

Saw a group playing yesterday. The course is very brown. It's a poor course to begin with and looks especially bad now. As others have said, I would only play it after a good rain and even then, don't expect much and you likely won't be disappointed.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: Golf? - 04/12/2021 09:47 PM

When I was working the motto that inspired me was very simple ... "a bad day on the golf course is better than a good day in the office!" So, even though the course is a bit rough go for it and enjoy yourself.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline