TravelTalkOnline

eating on travel down day

Posted By: 320sycamore

eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 01:24 AM

After reading trip reports we always wonder how people eat on the way down to SXM. It has been a longtime since airline food was a thing, so I wonder what do people do for instance bring food from the airport to eat en route, or eat once landed, or just snack while on the plane? In our experience, not eating makes for one unhappy trip but whatever we try isn't ideal.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 09:53 AM

We bring our own food on the plane, have done for years.
Posted By: timnboston

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 10:55 AM

I grab a sandwich (or two) at the local deli the day before. They pack all the condiments on the side for me. Beats airplane food and the ridiculous cost of airport concessions.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 03:07 PM

Fly FC and pre function in the airline lounges. Food not the greatest but works.
Posted By: SammyM

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 07:23 PM

It's only a four hour or so flight to SXM from most cities in the eastern U.S., so we wait until we land and hit one of our favorite St. Maarten restaurants after we have landed! Not like flying to Europe where you get a meal provided on the typical overnight flight. BTW, Jet Blue usually has some decent snacks that will tide you over and on one flight that I recall they even offered 'stroopwafels' (now that was 'Dutch'!).
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/17/2021 07:27 PM

We have to drive 3.5 hours one way to Miami, which is our normal trip. So we get something fairly light to eat at the airport and usually eat it on the plane, and then get a real meal once we arrive in SXM.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/19/2021 10:56 PM

we usually go through MIA, so in addition to some drinks in the lounges, we pick up Cuban sandwiches at La Carreta for the flight, coming and going
Posted By: pat

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/20/2021 01:36 AM

Depending on flight times we generally bring something with us to eat, too.

Last week, on our flight to SXM there was a youngish couple seated directly in front of us and I think they must have packed a picnic basket for the flight from CLT to SXM. They started snacking before we got off the ground and they were still eating over an hour and a half into the flight. They had sushi, veggies, munchies and some kind of sandwich along with a box of cookies plus they ate the Turkey and cheese croissant AA served. And the ultimate crime here was they were BOTH very tall and incredibly thin. There’s no justice.........
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/20/2021 01:49 AM

The operative word in your whole statement was "youngish". Just wait until they hit their mid to late thirties and we can see what happens. I was 6'1" and 135lbs with a 31" waist. I hit the mid thirties and that changed.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: eating on travel down day - 04/20/2021 02:10 AM

Thanks. That just reminded me to select our meals for our flights down.👍
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline