TravelTalkOnline

So regarding Delta......

Posted By: pat

So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 02:57 PM

This is really NOT my story to tell but this is the best update info I have......

Our friends, The_Lurker, here on TTOL were scheduled to fly home yesterday on the Delta n/stop into JFK. They left BSV around noon to head to the airport for their scheduled departure. We returned from an early dinner last night around 6:30 just as the rain was starting and as I looked down the sidewalk, there they were again. After boarding and sitting on the plane for hours, their flight was ultimately cancelled. All those passengers had to reclaim their luggage and scramble for accommodations, etc., so they returned here and BSV put them up in the room they had just vacated.

This morning they were being picked up by a taxi at 7:30. John has been watching their plane as the luggage was loaded but it’s still here. I just received a short message from them telling me so far their flight has been delayed twice and they have no idea yet when they will depart. Or if? (That last is me interjecting my thoughts.) Definite mechanical problems and I guess so far Delta has not been able to resolve them.

I know we always hope for extra island time but this is just NOT the kind of Time you want. It happened to us just once down here many years ago and it’s aggravating and frustrating and more often than not, it’s not like you can put your swimsuit back on and head to the beach again. You’re stuck in the terminal waiting. And waiting! And hoping! And waiting!

Good luck, my friends. Hope you’re able to get out soon.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 03:11 PM

That's horrible. I trust Delta is covering their extra night or nights. Should be some big time compensation coming.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 03:35 PM

Pat - Sending PM
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 03:46 PM

Wow, that sucks. I wondered whether it was her or not. Hope they are able to get out soon. Edit--Delta.com says that departure is now scheduled for 2 PM...

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:02 PM

And they have been at the airport today since 7:45..........

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:10 PM

Scuba,

It’s mechanical so Delta has to cover their expenses. We had the same issue with American once upon a time and they vouchered everything and comped us with future travel vouchers, too.

This stuff happens all the time with ALL the airlines. None of them are immune.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:23 PM

Pat--Hopefully Delta will pay for their hotel at Beachside, although normally I think they only pay for someplace the airline picks. We will hear the whole story eventually, but I surely hope that is the last delay for them. According to the Delta website, it was never scheduled to leave SXM until 11 AM anyway. Not sure why they were told to be there at 7:30. That is an awfully long time to be at that airport..

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:25 PM

Pat--for sure. it happens to all airlines..

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:41 PM

It’s now 12:30 and while I haven't heard anymore from Terry and Rit, their original plane still appears to be being worked on and the regularly scheduled Delta just arrived. I thought she said early on that it appeared her flight home was a light passenger load. If that was the case perhaps they can get some of the delayed passengers out on the regular flight?

Who knows but I’m pretty certain that any flight crew that was ready to depart earlier on the problem flight will soon be over their hours which could pose another problem for them

Listen to me speculating away......like I have a clue in this world what the airlines might do?! 🤭🤭
Posted By: Kennys

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:56 PM

Wow this really sucks and really feel for them.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:58 PM

Just had a quick message from them. Delta is trying to get everyone on today’s flight. Her comment was “What a mess!” And I’m sure it is. I will update if I hear anything more.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 04:59 PM

I spoke to Terri - They are awaiting a second Delta flight arriving supposedly around 2. Hoping there are enough seats. B & E's B & B is available just in case

And that plane has arrived.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 05:21 PM

Looking at Delta online, it is very confusing. Her flight was supposed to be going to JFK? They are now showing that flight leaving at 5 PM today. They don't seem to be showing a non-stop to Atlanta today at all, which doesn't make sense. What is the other flight they are trying to get on?

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 05:42 PM

DL1886 to JFK

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 05:51 PM

Duh, I think I didn't scroll down far enough before. The other one (9887) is still listed at 5 PM, as of now.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 06:15 PM

Nope - scheduled for 2:25. They have boarded the plane, so all is good.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 06:17 PM

Good to hear.

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 06:26 PM

Delta site was NOT useful!

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 07:03 PM

And they are now on the plane and airborne as of moments ago. And over the mountain they go......Safe travels, Terry and Rit.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: So regarding Delta...... - 04/28/2021 10:06 PM

Thanks for the good news Pat.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline