TravelTalkOnline

Now we're well and truly screwed

Posted By: BillandElaine

Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 04:34 PM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/kingdom-govt-suspends-payment-to-st-maarten
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 04:37 PM

Wow, for sure. And check out the look on Knops' face. He looks like the cat who ate the canary..

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 04:40 PM

You noticed that too?

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 04:50 PM

I find his expression disgusting.

So, literally what do they do now? My understanding is that the government was going to run out of money at the end of this month..

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 05:00 PM

Yes, what WILL they do? They have already announced there is no plan B. Nothing good will come of this. We already can't feed all the people.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 05:31 PM

If the government runs out of money, does that mean that people won't show up to work at the airport, etc??? Wow...
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 05:48 PM

I look at it as a way to address the problems at the airport and holding money that was to be given from the Netherlands is the best way to put pressure to get it done.
Posted By: fanprsxm

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 06:23 PM

I'm lost. This cut, what % represent for the total budget? Does this will applied only to the airport? Or will affect all government agencies?
What will be the effects for sxm people?
Please someone explain.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 07:21 PM

It is a loan from the Netherlands so St. Maarten can function until it can stand on it’s on.
Payroll is a big part of it and of course politics.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 07:39 PM

Actually, I thought this one was a gift from the Netherlands, not a loan, but I could be wrong. From previous stories, I understood that government would run OUT of money at the end of this month without those funds.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 08:04 PM

This was a interesting article

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...a-80e9-11eb-81db-b02f0398f49a_story.html
Posted By: Todd

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 09:24 PM

Do you wonder if The Netherlands thinks of SXM as a bad time share purchase that they can't get rid of? How much money does SXM create for the Dutch Government vs how much does the Dutch Government send to SXM? I personally have no idea but guessing it is not a great investment. I guess they can say they own an island in the Caribbean but honestly who would loan money to the SXM local government if you had it? Not I

Cheers!

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/28/2021 09:31 PM

Todd--not sure what the amounts are in total, but all the money is coming FROM Holland to SXM..
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/29/2021 09:30 AM

Perhaps more "TALKS" should be scheduled. The local politicians seem to be very good at talking with little or no action to follow.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/29/2021 10:42 AM

These are loans. The Netherlands have been offering them to Aruba, Curacao and St. Maarten. They are funding support for continuity of government services.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/29/2021 05:59 PM

Yes humor is the best medicine.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 05/30/2021 08:42 PM

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture says it all, about the government in St. Maarten.

Attached picture SXMGov-joke.jpg

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 06/01/2021 01:11 PM

Update in the Daily Herald today

No idea what 'good governance' means..
Posted By: irina

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 06/01/2021 02:20 PM

Same [censored], different day. SXM govt want's their hand in the pot. Holland doesn't. SXM insists on good governance, that they are capable of handling running a country. They can't. Holland will not go further without getting their hands out of cookie jar.
Holland is promising to leave once PJIA is rebuilt and not stay around bossying them.

Capice?
Posted By: pat

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 06/01/2021 02:41 PM

Well said, Irina. The powers that be in SXM don't want anyone taking the icing off their cake so the entire island suffers at their expense.

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 06/01/2021 10:20 PM

I have no idea what this article is hinting at but it all seems encrypted to me?
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Now we're well and truly screwed - 06/02/2021 10:27 AM

Without the cruise ships the funds to keep Sint Maarten a float was going down hill!! Just need a little more time to get back on it's feet!!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline