TravelTalkOnline

Cruise home porting starts this weekend

Posted By: SXMScubaman

Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 11:10 AM

https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-arrives-to-begin-homeporting
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 01:21 PM

Seems like they have a more permanent structure there for the home porting. Good deal.

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 02:58 PM

I saw a cruise tender come to the SBR MARINA yesterday. Not sure if it made land fall or not.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 07:11 PM

We arrive 1:30 Saturday June 5. I hope airport is not clogged with cruise ship people. Will cruisers be treated as transit and expedited through immigration? Will most arrive as charter air passengers?

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 07:21 PM

The cruise line is NOT chartering any air, as far as I can tell. Saturdays could be a real zoo in the future.
Posted By: EdB

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 08:23 PM

As i reported in march, it took us 2.5 hours to get through immigration on a saturday afternoon...and this was without added cruise people!!! I have no clue how they will ever be able to add an additonal couple of thousand people coming in for a cruise!! We made the decision NEVER to go to SXM on a Saturday again, also will not depart on a Saturday either.
Posted By: pat

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/03/2021 10:14 PM

Ed,

For years we would depart SXM on Friday, sacrificing that one day to avoid the Saturday airport chaos. And not only does it allow you to avoid Saturday travel but you have all day on Friday without needing to worry about the early morning timeshare check-outs on Saturday, depending on your flight time, that is. And some years we would book an extra day on our arrival so we could avoid Saturday on the arrival side, too.. The flexibility was great when you own multiple weeks. It worked very well for us......

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/04/2021 12:58 AM

Yep. We check out tomorrow for some of the same reasons.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/04/2021 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bluesfan
We arrive 1:30 Saturday June 5. I hope airport is not clogged with cruise ship people. Will cruisers be treated as transit and expedited through immigration? Will most arrive as charter air passengers?

Are you on American 2476 from CTL? If so, we are on the same flight!
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/04/2021 02:03 PM

We stopped traveling on Friday.
That started to get too busy--probably because everyone was avoiding the weekend.

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/04/2021 02:35 PM

Story about the Millennium by The Points Guy. Link
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Cruise home porting starts this weekend - 06/04/2021 05:28 PM

Yes. Coming in from PVD. I'll look for you at the gate. I have brown hair with gray beard.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline