TravelTalkOnline

Passport renewal

Posted By: Mikel

Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 01:01 PM

I know this has been addressed many times in the past, but now that the pandemic is subsiding, does anyone have any recent experience with the time it takes to process a passport renewal, without using the expedited service?

And, does St. Maarten enforce the '6-months to expiration' criteria, ie. no entry if the passport has less than 6 months remaining to expiration, or is that up to the airline?

Thanks
Posted By: jbutah

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 01:13 PM

We sent my wife's in and it was received the third week of October 2020. We got it back the first week of January.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 01:40 PM

Passport guidelines LINK
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 01:43 PM

SOME other countries, possibly Anguilla or St. Barts, that you might visit from Sint Maarten might have such rules, but Sint Maarten does not. I don't know where these stories keep coming from.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
SOME other countries, possibly Anguilla or St. Barts, that you might visit from Sint Maarten might have such rules, but Sint Maarten does not. I don't know where these stories keep coming from.

Possibly because some airlines (looking at you American) post a blanket rule on their website that says passports must be valid for 6 months. I know that was enough for me to renew mine early rather than risk some overworked agent denying me boarding because they don’t understand the country specific rules.
Posted By: dvesc

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 03:06 PM

We applied for a new passport in September right as the offices were opening back up and while there was still a backlog. It took about eight weeks.
Posted By: bowiefan

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 04:24 PM

I sent my renewal application and photo in in February. It took 4 weeks before the agency received my information, and a total of 13 weeks before I had my new passport in hand.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Passport renewal - 06/21/2021 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone. Should have researched the 6-month thing myself, but did not, and that was my biggest concern.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline