TravelTalkOnline

COVID on the island

Posted By: gracie105

COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 12:55 PM

Hello, I am traveling in the next couple of weeks to beautiful St Martin....does anyone know the actual percentage of COVID cases on the island? Is it on the decline? I can’t seem to find an up to date answer for this online....Thanks
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 01:26 PM

Percentage of positive tests, you mean?? Not sure I've seen that either. I think the number of cases on the Dutch side is down. French side, not so much.
Posted By: Mikel

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 02:27 PM

According to the Brown University website that I use, the number of new cases per day per 100,000 for the last 7 days are:

Sint Maarten- 10.3
Saint Martin- 31.8

I think each side has a population of around 40,000 so the cases per day are roughly half of what you see. These numbers are up somewhat, having been in the low single-digits in April, but they are considerably down from January's numbers, especially the Dutch side.
Posted By: Seaisle

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 02:35 PM

What is the percent vaccinated?
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 02:36 PM

LINK to Dutch-side coronavirus info
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Seaisle
What is the percent vaccinated?

I believe it's 40% for Dutch side and 28% for French side. Not very good.
Posted By: dvesc

Re: COVID on the island - 06/27/2021 03:02 PM

I used this site before our trip in December to Orient. It’s in French, but I was able to use Google Translate. The numbers are updated every week.

https://www.santepubliquefrance.fr/

I also kept up with numbers from the Prefect on Facebook.

Re: COVID on the island - 06/28/2021 12:11 AM

Thank you

Re: COVID on the island - 06/28/2021 12:12 AM

Yes Carol positive cases. Thank you
Posted By: SammyM

Re: COVID on the island - 06/28/2021 08:20 PM

It's nice to know this information when you are traveling, but if you're fully vaccinated for COVID-19 there's very little to be concerned about if you planning a visit to SXM. The chances of a 'breakthrough' COVID infection are extremely rare and in reality little cause for concern (if that helps). But, if you're not vaccinated ...

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 12:31 AM

We are fully vaccinated but were cautious while we were on island. Especially the French side.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 03:20 AM

Really, the virus doesnt see two sidesof an island. The islanders and guests bop around continuously and I doubt there is little difference in risk between the two sides. Maybe some concentrations in some elementary school, nursing facility, locals taverns or church groups between two sides.

But all the places we go I bet there is an equal amount of virus availability.

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 03:56 AM

I saw a lot of difference in the mingling of people and the indifference of getting the vaccine between the two sides. Believe what you want through rose colored glasses but there is a difference.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by PelicanPirate
The islanders and guests bop around continuously and I doubt there is little difference in risk between the two sides.

But all the places we go I bet there is an equal amount of virus availability.

I would think that going to an area with a higher percentage of unvaccinated residents would negate the "equal amount of virus availability" concept. It's not the number of residents going back and forth...it's about the unvaccinated vs vaccinated.

I have no issues going back and forth but those at risk probably should have some

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 10:28 AM

Thats a risk to the unvaccinated more than a risk to the vaccinated. Throw in age. Young unvaccinateds have low risk. Old unvaccinateds have high risk.

The majority of both sides of the island are still unvaccinated.

Shades of gray, not rose colored glasses.

Posted By: BlakeBernadette

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 02:06 PM

You will not find official information on infections, in any case, there are much more of them. I would not advise you.

Re: COVID on the island - 06/29/2021 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeBernadette
You will not find official information on infections, in any case, there are much more of them. I would not advise you.

The Government page posts numbers for total infections, current infections and recoveries daily.

Re: COVID on the island - 06/30/2021 12:52 AM

https://www.facebook.com/354761848028480/posts/1978461418991840/
This is posted daily.
Posted By: kim

Re: COVID on the island - 06/30/2021 01:58 AM

44 active cases today.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: COVID on the island - 06/30/2021 10:18 AM

...and one new case added last 24 hours

Re: COVID on the island - 07/01/2021 03:59 PM

Yes my husband and I are both fully vaccinated, but I still get nervous I dont know why
Posted By: SammyM

Re: COVID on the island - 07/02/2021 01:43 PM

Gracie ... it's important to not let 'COVID fear' control you as we emerge from this pandemic. Unfortunately, the media goes too far when reporting this and much of their coverage comes from epidemiologists and not virologists. Keeping COVID 'active' within the national news draws viewers, and often does not cover the entire picture ... especially the emerging good news. For those who are fully vaccinated (like you and I) the Delta Variant B.1.617.2 should be of little concern to us. But, it's now the "buzz word" in the media so it's in the news almost non-stop. The mRNA based vaccines will prevent serious illness and resulting hospitalization in over 92 percent of those who are 'double vaccinated' and somehow contract the SARS-CoV-2 virus, while the other COVID vaccines will also offer protection at a somewhat lesser rate. I am so tired of hearing that a variant (mutation) could arise that 'evades' the vaccines and immune systems, and all that does is raise anxiety levels among us. What the media fails to tell us is that a virus (even a coronavirus) historically takes years and multiple mutations to learn to bypass an effective vaccine, let alone the immune systems within all of us. I am actually a supporter of the news media, but they cross the line when they don't present the full story.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: COVID on the island - 07/02/2021 04:42 PM

This is the most intelligent comment on the subject that I've seen in a long time, and I couldn't agree with you more.

Re: COVID on the island - 07/02/2021 11:24 PM

Thanks Sammy

Re: COVID on the island - 07/03/2021 01:20 AM

Amen.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline