TravelTalkOnline

Ballast Needham Airport

Posted By: Kennys

Ballast Needham Airport - 07/20/2021 05:32 PM

Ballast Needham has been selected to do the reconstruction of the Airport and to start next month August . Totally approved by the World Bank Trust Fund .
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/20/2021 06:13 PM

OK, not familiar with that company, not that it matters, but glad something has been approved. You said "next month August". I assume you mean August 2021??
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/20/2021 06:28 PM

Ballast Nedam is a Dutch construction firm. They did the reconstruction of the roof at PJIA in 2018-2019. They also have done recent construction of a new terminal wing at an airport in the Netherlands and are doing work at the airport in Aruba.

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/20/2021 07:31 PM

August 2021

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/20/2021 07:48 PM

OK, thanks.

Daily Herald story
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 01:05 PM

I will believe it when they start . We have heard many time that reconstruction was on the horizon, but our vision was clouded may the smoke from the fires on the west coast that we in the East are getting now
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by DICKG
I will believe it when they start . We have heard many time that reconstruction was on the horizon, but our vision was clouded may the smoke from the fires on the west coast that we in the East are getting now

And it is now being questioned as to how they got the bid.

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE

Perhaps some bribes were part of the deal?

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 02:19 PM

Of course, that's my 'buddy' Minister Emmanuel, but it does raise some questions. But the process was supposedly approved by the World Bank.

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 02:46 PM

Your " Buddy " Minister Emmanuel ? lol.

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 03:16 PM

Yup. The very same one who took out the parking ballasts on Front Street, so that everyone parks in the street. And who proposed closing the road to Beacon Hill at the airport, and building a new road to Beacon Hill ON THE BEACH from the Mary's Boon end. That one.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/22/2021 04:01 PM

The very same one who votes no when all else is yes. The very same one that said the Maho water tank would not be rebuilt.
Posted By: DICKG

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/23/2021 02:30 PM

That is real funny, does anyone take I’m seriously, how did he get elected ?
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/23/2021 05:58 PM

I personally do not like Emmanuel, but he raises some right concerns. I do know that some major international companies were basically barred from competing in this project, and the question he rises is a legitimate one: How is it possible that a company that has been condamned for bribes in sxm, and worldwide too, can be allowed to bid??? I do not believe for one moment that there is any sxm company that is up to the task, but you cannot point to the corruption in sxm and let a company that does not do business in a legal way win the bid, or even participate in the tender, just because is Dutch.

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/23/2021 06:10 PM

Good points, Enzo.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/23/2021 06:56 PM

I've never seen where Ballast Nedam has been charged or convicted of any bribery in St. Smarten. Their bribery charges that most want to talk about are from 20 years ago. Is it possible that they have reformed and are just a great and competitive contracting firm? How did they perform on the roof reconstruction of the airport?
Posted By: enzosxm

Re: Ballast Needham Airport - 07/24/2021 06:22 PM

Bdeely the following is a link of a 120pg report from the OECD: you will find BN mentioned aplenty.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.oecd.org/corruption/Netherlands-Phase-4-Report-ENG.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwit3N-VqPzxAhU7_7sIHWiiBMcQFjAHegQIChAC&usg=AOvVaw1K6lpoVNfyE74hHieKyxAE
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline