TravelTalkOnline

Gonna make it or not?

Posted By: biglar

Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 01:03 AM

My wife and I missed three trips in the past year and a half due to the virus. We are scheduled to arrive in October. Is that going to happen? I have a girl who helps us with our airfare changes and rely on Magali, who has a rental company on the French side, to keep changing our rental units to accommodate the date changes. We have missed so much, but each time we run into problems. The French side was closed one time. There were no planes arriving another time. Will we make it this time? With more and more new cases every day, what are the chances we will make it in October. Maybe the island will be closed down due to all the new cases on SXM. I'm sure there will be some reason why we have to reschedule once again. Will we outlive the virus or will we never step foot on the island again?
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 01:23 AM

MAYBE
Posted By: pat

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 01:42 AM

Larry,

Hang in there - I think you’ve had your three strikes and this next time at bat, you’re gonna’ hit a homer. At least, I hope you do.

We thought about cancelling last November but having already missed our April 2020 trip that year we kept our plans and had a wonderful time. Went again April 21 and while we were very cautious about where we went and what we did, we still had a perfect trip in so many ways.

Wishing the same for both of you.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 02:27 AM

I think you've answered your own question. Good luck.
Posted By: zeus1963

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 03:02 AM

We are going in October so I say yes you will make it. We went for two weeks in May and had a great time. I’ll admit we were worried something would happen to stop us but in the end it all went smoothly.
Posted By: kim

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 03:24 AM

I’m going 9/1. Word I’m getting from friends on island is the French side will probably be shut down due to COVID. We shall see. I’m praying it doesn’t go back to closed borders. I have a Halloween trip booked and New Years as well. Just hope it happens!!!
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 09:20 AM

I'm scheduled in late October for five weeks. It sure would be a bummer if the French side is shut down. There aren't very many Dutch beaches I enjoy spending time on . . . .
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 11:40 AM

Fingers crossed for us, late October into November!

Attached picture David simply 0321.jpg
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 12:07 PM

Odds are you'll make it through all the hoops and get on the island and the trip will be good.

We booked in April for July, so 2-3 months out. I would say the “situation if getting better” factor has decreased since April.

I would of thought all the jabs in arms by July would have put this whole mess behind us.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 03:27 PM

Kim--what do you mean "the French side will shut down again"?? Allegedly both sides had agreed the border would not be closed again. Curfew at 8 PM is pretty bad, in and of itself..
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/19/2021 04:29 PM

[quote=jazzgal. It sure would be a bummer if the French side is shut down. There aren't very many Dutch beaches I enjoy spending time on . . . .[/quote]
We agree, Linda. And not just the beaches. The food, the people, the ambiance.
Posted By: foreversxm

Re: Gonna make it or not? - 08/20/2021 12:15 AM

Absolutely! IMO why not just go as planned??..., take your normal precautions. We stay away from crowds , masked when I a crowed and hang on the beach and eat just at open air restaurants like the Palms or Mary's Boon etc. The Lt Governor just said the Island has to deal with handing the virus as shutting down is not helping removing in any way so I doubt you will see at least the Dutch ever close again except for limiting of business hours as they do now. Time will tell.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline