TravelTalkOnline

Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental?

Posted By: carlnsue

Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 05:12 PM

Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a car rental agency with reasonably priced light duty 4x4s? Like Suzuki Jimny, or Daihatsu Terios?
We usually rent from AAA, and always heard great things about Kenny’s, but they don’t have those type of 4x4s. And price for Jeep Cherokees is usually too high.
We are also looking for a Grand Case airport pick up and an SXM drop off.
Maybe Travel Car Rental? I think we used them years ago but no recent experience.
Many thanks in advance!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 05:58 PM

Sorry, gotta ask, why do you need a 4X4??? You really don't need a 4X4 anywhere on SXM.

And as far as Grand Case airport, that is a whole game changer, as I have no idea how to do that.
Posted By: carlnsue

Re: Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 07:18 PM

No prob, ask away smile

The reason I prefer a "mini 4x4" is really only for ground clearance to navigate a couple of spots. For example, the dirt road to Friar's Bay Beach Club typically has potholes deep enough to swallow a car. Otherwise, I agree with you, people generally don't need a 4x4 for most of the island. And I certainly don't need a full sized SUV or even a Jeep Cherokee ($$$).

We used to rent Suzuki Jimnys on SXM, and still do on St. Barts. Great cheap and durable for a hilly island with potholes and sometimes minor flooding. Don't know why they aren't more popular on SXM anymore, but I'm sure there's a reason.

With the Grand Case Airport pickup, Alain from Triple A has arranged that for us in the past, he just doesn't have these type of cars so I was looking around to check my options. I like using the local-owned car services, and actually discovered Triple A from this TTOL site, and used him for years since then. So thanks for that!
Posted By: Todd

Re: Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 07:31 PM

Alain has a Kia Sportage or two, not 4x4 but has added ground clearance and I do like to sit higher and like having it if there is a Lake Mullet issue. They are older Kia's.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 07:42 PM

Yes, I agree that the road to FBBC is awful, but we have done it several times with a regular old rental Corolla.. Hope you are able to find what you want.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Reasonable Jimny or Terios 4x4 rental? - 10/10/2021 08:01 PM

We have had no trouble in our Corolla rental with any roads in St Maarten and we have been on some very rough roads.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline