TravelTalkOnline

Car rental insurance

Posted By: bobbarb

Car rental insurance - 10/25/2021 10:50 PM

I know this has been discussed in the past but it was a long time ago. My recollection is that liability coverage is actually covered in your rental. While some car rentals will charge you an extra daily rate even though it's not needed. I am requesting this as I will be there this weekend and passed this information on to a friend who will be there this weekend as well. I know collision is separate but I have that covered with me credit card.
Posted By: Todd

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/25/2021 11:11 PM

You are correct in your recollection.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 12:55 AM

I had an exchange with a rental company a few months back. Here is part of what they told me.

Liability insurance does not cover renters. It covers the other car, in the event of an accident. Yes, car rental companies are required to have all cars insured with liability coverage, which we sell to renters. It’s entirely up to the renter to decide whether they want to purchase it, or not.

Hence, when renting a car, purchasing the liability insurance in highly recommended but not mandatory. Some car rental companies here claim that it’s mandatory by law for customers to purchase the liability insurance, but that’s entirely untrue. Some people actually claim to have their own liability coverage, so we don’t coerce them to purchase it.

If someone else damages your rental car and the police decided it’s their fault, then you’re not responsible for anything. Their insurance has to fix your car.

If you cause damage to someone else’s car/property etc, and the police decide that you’re at fault, then:

1. If you purchased the liability coverage, then that covers the other person’s car.

2. If you didn’t purchase the liability coverage, then you’re fully responsible for the damage to the other person’s car.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 04:14 AM

liability is a money grab buy rental companies that try to pass a charge to unknowing renters. That's why I rent from hertz. They are up front stating it's included.
Posted By: Jaybird

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 11:11 AM

Be sure your credit card still covers rental cars. Many credit cards have dropped that coverage. My Citibank Executive Card no longer has rental car coverage.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 11:15 AM

Correct....only one of mine covers CDW (United Explorer Mastercard)
Posted By: indi

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 01:46 PM

Yes, many credit cards have dropped rental car coverage. Be sure to check!!!! Our AMEX still provides coverage.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/26/2021 01:48 PM

Thank you all for your comments. My united credit card does cover collision but none of my other cards do probably because they have a $95 annual fee and none of my other cards have a fee. I only pay it because it allows one checked bag for you and someone traveling with you, so one trip pays for itself any more is just gravey.
Posted By: carlnsue

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/27/2021 03:48 AM

So does this boil down to, (assuming Dutch rules) the car rental companies are required to offer 3rd party liability coverage, and only some companies make it mandatory?

Collision of course is different and many credit cards cover it. But unless you want to be on the hook for 3rd party damages, either make sure it is included in your rental or that you buy it?

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/27/2021 04:10 AM

My understanding is that rental companies have to provide it as part of the rental price. Some companies avoid this conversation with the rental customers.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/27/2021 04:28 AM

So what do you make of the comments from the rental company owner I quoted above?

Re: Car rental insurance - 10/27/2021 02:17 PM

Really don't understand that interpretation as liability insurance if passed on should cover it. I'll stick with Hertz SXM as they include it with no option to pay extra.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline