TravelTalkOnline

taking frozen meat Jet Blue

Posted By: popeyeskid

taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 10:50 PM

Heading down next week with two other couples. We planned on taking some frozen meat with us, but one of our travel companions has just read that JetBlue (who we are flying) says that it's prohibited on International flights. My S/O and I took some down in August without any issues. Now I'm worried about taking it, since it will be a lot more food (six adults worth). Has anyone ever had any problems taking meat and/or seafood down, specifically on JetBlue?
Thanks
Posted By: Kennys

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 11:13 PM

My cousin brought down T-bone 🥩 Steaks from NY a couple of months ago
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 11:21 PM

popeeye--not sure where the person read that, but it is INCORRECT, as to SXM anyway. In the old days, they used to prevent people from taking meat into England, because of Mad Cow disease, but not sure if that is still the case or not.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 11:32 PM

Kennys, was that on JetBlue? We also took some filet and salmon down in August with no issues, but now that I've seen this info on their webpage, I'm concerned.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 11:33 PM

Carol_Hill it is written on JetBlue's webpage that meat, fish and shellfish is not permitted on international flights. I want to ignore it, but it is concerning to me.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/30/2021 11:52 PM

Yes it was on JetBlue , six packs .

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 12:24 AM

popeye---that is BS. There is no such rule.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 12:35 AM

Thank you Kennys.
Posted By: Jerry_R

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:03 AM

I'd be on the phone to customer service based on what I see here. https://www.jetblue.com/help/musical-instruments-and-other-special-items
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:29 AM

Carol, you are wrong! I've copied the appropriate text directly from JetBlue website and followed that with a link to the page.

________

Prohibited Items in Checked Bags
In addition to the items listed below, the following are also prohibited in carry-on and checked bags on international flights:

Firearms / Ammunition
Television sets (exception for flights to Cuba)
Meat, fish, live shellfish, and seafood
Can't find your item? Be safe: visit the FAA's website for a complete list of prohibited items .

prohibited items JetBlue - link
Posted By: jeepers

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:47 AM

I wouldn't ignore their rules for sure. Is there a shortage in St Martin as they had excellent meat & selection when we were there last time?
Posted By: bizzottom

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 08:38 AM

jeepers, i think it is the cost that drives their thinking
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 11:23 AM

We have a condo on the island and go for a few months at a time. We have been taking frozen meat for 15 or so years now on AA, Delta & JetBlue

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 11:54 AM

Whiskers--Us too. This is the first I have ever heard of this BS. And that's what it is. BS.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 12:02 PM

From the TSA

Frozen meat is fine onboard

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 12:08 PM

Mr. Whiskers,
I also have been taking frozen meat for quite a while. I was totally shocked when my friend pointed it out to me.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 12:11 PM

popeye--If you are taking it in carry on, once you get through TSA, no one is going to check it. And TSA says it's fine...
Posted By: Bahston

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:03 PM

I don’t know, but I suspect, that there is more of a concern with importing to the US than exporting to SXM.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:43 PM

We take frozen meat and fish to SXM all the time with no issues on all airlines but never flew jet blue. Now that AA and Jet Blue are code sharing I doubt you can't on jet blue.
Posted By: MrWhiskerssammy

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 01:47 PM

Ours is totally frozen. We bring it in one of our checked bags. We never bring anything back to the U.S. because we know you can't. I did pack us a lunch, though, one time. We were connecting in Puerto Rico. We got into trouble because I had sliced tomato in the sandwiches. They let us go but said we could have been fined big time. Lesson learned.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 02:16 PM

Thanks Mr. Whiskers. We also froze ours and put it in our checked luggage. The only thing I ever bring back to the US is some good French wine, but I always tell them about the six bottles that will still bring me in under the weight limit in my bag. Those tomatoes will get you in trouble every time. haha
Posted By: erb923

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 02:26 PM

We bring a nice frozen prime rib, makes great leftovers!

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 02:31 PM

Agreed, whiskers, bringing meat especially or fruit back INTO the US, that is a whole different thing. We do bring gouda most trips, and declare it and have never had an issue. One time the beagle stopped by our bag and the agent asked us if we had meat in the bag and we said we had a BIG wheel of cheese and they said OK, and didn't even have to open the bag.
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 04:13 PM

The TSA says it's okay which means airlines can allow it, not that they *have* to allow it. Jetblue's rules don't allow it, but they probably have more important things to worry about.

Long story short, you'll probably get away with it on Jetblue, but you do run some risk that they will discover it and confiscate it. Since it's an airline rule, not a TSA rule, you
are probably only risking the cost of the cargo.

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 04:22 PM

No logical reason for them to ban it, in my opinion. If it was a security risk, TSA would ban it. As I said before, you get through TSA--who says it's fine--then who is going to check? No one..
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 05:41 PM

Jet Blue also will not allow boxes to be shipped, the other airlines do, Jet Blue is suitcases or nothing. Another strange rule of theirs

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 06:01 PM

Seems like another reason not to book them. Unfortunately just booked flights on JB for June next year, before this thread..
Posted By: boucharda

Re: taking frozen meat Jet Blue - 10/31/2021 08:15 PM

We arrived in Aruba yesterday and the flight on JB was stellar. Can't beat the Even More Space seats and the video options are endless.... (now the experience in BOS was another story) We have been bringing some meat to SXM on JB for MANY years...less now but still some nice steaks
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline