TravelTalkOnline

Upcoming Trip

Posted By: jsbell

Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 07:55 PM

If the stars align, we will be flying down Saturday after this for a week along with my son and daughter-in-law. We are on Frontier out of Baltimore. (Yes, I know, but the price was too good to pass up.) Any Frontier veterans have any survival tips? Does anyone know when Harmony Nights start in Grand Case, or will they even have them this year? I think Mardi Gras is not until March, so we may be too early. Also, has anyone done a tour at any of the island breweries? My son is a beer aficionado and is interested.

The budget is tight this time around, so maybe only two nights out a nice restaurant. Our favorites are La Villa for French side and Jax for Dutch side. Suggestions for new alternates and cheap eats are appreciated!
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 08:31 PM

Sorry, no Harmony Nights this year
Posted By: MamaB

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 09:35 PM

Try Vesna Taverna for great dinners at reasonable prices.
For inexpensive- there are several restaurants in Jordan Village- near the Medical School. Casual dining but great food.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 09:51 PM

If you like fresh homemade pasta, Spaghetti House is wonderful and cost what pasta is worth (to us). Check their Facebook page for menu and specials. Located in Jordan Village
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 10:27 PM

As Elaine said, no Harmony Nights this year, unfortunately. I could be wrong, but as far as brewery tours, I think the only one is Topper's Rum, no beer breweries.

You didn't say where you're saying on island, so not sure what to recommend that will be close to you. Lots of great choices for cheap eats on island. Some of my favorites, in no particular order, are ribs and chicken at Rosie's on Mullet, ANYTHING at Mark's Place, anything at Al Dente near Orient, or Mama Pizza in either Cupecoy or Oyster Pond, lots of great choices at Fat Tony's in Cupecoy. For upscale, Jax is pretty hard to beat for meat lovers. I love Ocean 82 for that 'splurge' meal, with a wonderful view of Anguilla. Sublime in Maho is also a new entrant in the upscale food area, with great choices. Enjoy!!
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/03/2022 11:49 PM

There are at least 3 beer brewery tours on the Dutch side and there is at least 1 beer brewery on the French side but I am unsure if this one offers a tour. Hope this helps.

Brewery 1 - SXM Beers, link takes you to their tours page

Brewery 2 - Caribbean Brewing Company - tour page

Brewery 3 - Pelikan Brewery tour page

French Beer Brewery - FWI in Hope Estates area

Enjoy your trip.

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 12:40 AM

OK, well, I stand corrected..
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 11:46 AM

We also had a great meal at The Spaghetti House....friendly service, great food and we were the only ones there at 5pm
Posted By: jsbell

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 02:55 PM

Thanks! That is just the info I was looking for!
Posted By: pat

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 04:21 PM

Another here who really enjoys the Spaghetti House. Their food is yummy and reasonably priced, too. We also enjoy Fat Tony’s across the street for a very casual dinner but we try to get there before the music begins or else its another reason to eat at the Spaghetti House since the music at FT’s is just a little too loud for us. Very enjoyable but very loud for such a small venue and we always seem to end up at the table right next to it.

Re Fat Tony’s, their Tuesday night steak special is very good for those who haven’t already tried it.
Posted By: panman

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 05:24 PM

Fat Tony's Spaghetti House and Pizza/Pasta are all in Cupecoy area?

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 05:38 PM

Mama Pizza is at Puerto Cupecoy. Fat Tony's is in Jordan Village.
Posted By: Oldenuf2knowbttr

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/04/2022 10:44 PM

Pizza/Pasta in Cupecoy and Oyster Pond? Isn’t that Mama?

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/05/2022 12:32 AM

duh Yes, you are correct. I fixed my note.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/05/2022 12:43 AM

The Greenhouse has a large selection of reasonably priced items. Happy hour 4:30 to 7, 2 for 1drinks. Buccaneer Beach Bar has all you can eat ribs & chicken for $10.00 Monday & Tuesday 5 to 7.

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/05/2022 01:14 PM

SandS--yes, the Greenhouse, especially for Happy Hour, is a great choice. Did not know about the $10 deal at Buccaneer. Does that include any sides??
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/05/2022 04:11 PM

We saw they had that this last may when we were there but never tried it. Everytime it was absolutly packed when we either drove or walked by.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/06/2022 12:42 PM

I'll second Spaghetti house, the owner told us she was a chef at Mario's, if I have it right! We had a lovely dinner there, we'll be back! Don't forget Prime rib night at the Greenhouse,(Simpson bay) Mike the manager advised us some years ago, book your "PR" size in advance, they sell out quick! I will say this, with the sides, Louise and I split a Queen cut and full after, saving room for desert ,very hard!! (great on the budget) Sandbar!!! (Beacon hill) Saturday nights, "What the funk" plays, good eats and drinks to the won't set you back! Fun place!!!

Attached picture David gang sandbar 1030.jpg
Attached picture David at Sandbar lunch 2021-4.jpg
Attached picture David and Louise Sandbar1021.jpg
Posted By: kbd

Re: Upcoming Trip - 02/06/2022 08:29 PM

Thanks for the Brewery sites. Hope to check a few out in a couple weeks! Spaghetti House is going on our list to check out also.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline