TravelTalkOnline

President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues

Posted By: Carol_Hill

President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/07/2022 05:02 PM

Link

I hope they are able to resolve this issue and protect the rights of local people.
Posted By: Southbound

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/07/2022 09:37 PM

I'm curious as to who exactly is selling the property in question...I can understand a buyer that is interested in a property offered for sale, but I haven't seen who claims to own the property and is trying to sell it.

I don't suppose There are adverse possession laws in SXM, but if there were/are, it seems that would offer protection to the families that have lived on the land in question for several generations even if they don't have clear title to it.
Posted By: Bahston

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/07/2022 10:00 PM

My recollection is that the land in question is the so-called Beaupurthuy land.

This link is to a Soualiga Newsday article from 6 years ago.

Link
Posted By: PrairieGirl

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/08/2022 05:52 AM

I read the article that you posted.

The line that stuck me the most was "Pierre Beauperthuy loved St. Martin and strive to create tourism opportunities for the Island". We had the good fortune to visit "The Old House" while Pierre was still alive, and I will count this visit in the many (over 25 years) of experiences that lead me to love this island.

I am very sad (but not shocked) by the squabbles that are currently taking place over the "Beauperthuy Land". One can only hope (and pray) that the decedents that have lived on island for years will win out over the other "interests".
Posted By: Bahston

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/08/2022 12:36 PM

There are more recent articles. Anyone interested can find them by searching for "Beaupurthuy St Martin".
Posted By: Kennys

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/09/2022 04:32 PM

The current President Gibbs is not a bad person but is caught up with the two races i.e his Mom is White and Dad is Black.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/09/2022 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Kennys
The current President Gibbs is not a bad person but is caught up with the two races i.e his Mom is White and Dad is Black.

Why would that make a difference?
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: President Gibbs requests assistance to resolve land issues - 02/09/2022 05:16 PM

I don't know, but as has been stated here before, this forum is not the place to discuss race.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline