TravelTalkOnline

Cigar shops

Posted By: jsbell

Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 12:10 AM

Any cigar fans out there? My son is looking for moderate priced but genuine Cuban cigars for friends back home. Yes, I know about the current rules, but his problem, his luggage. Any recommendations for stores combining good prices with the genuine article? I might pick up a couple for use on the island, so recommendations appreciated!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 01:05 AM

I buy all my Cuban cigars from Duty Free in Philipsburg. Good prices and quality. Also Juggies in Philipsburg has a nice selection. Beware of counterfeit Cuban cigars as some shops have them. That's why I deal with Duty Free and Juggies.
Posted By: jsbell

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 11:37 AM

Thanks! Is Duty Free on the pier or on Front Street?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 02:57 PM

Been a while for me but "moderate price and authentic Cuban" can be a difficult combination. Don't know if Emporium and or Casa de Habana are open in P-burg, both carry the real thing. Embargo is gone so I think there are no restrictions as to what you can being back. Something to consider, most cigar shops used to ship to US at fair prices but that may not be available anymore.

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jsbell
Thanks! Is Duty Free on the pier or on Front Street?

On Front Street. The one I go to is close to the Guavaberry Shop.
Posted By: pat

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 04:04 PM

Not a hundred percent certain about this but I think there is one in the Maho plaza complex on the street level just before the car park garage entrance. We often enjoy dinner outdoors at Sublime just down the walkway from Ajax Steakhouse and we see the gentlemen smoking their cigars below us. I’m guessing - and this is purely a guess on my part - there must be a shop attached to the outdoor smoking area.

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 04:09 PM

Yes there is. It is right on the corner across from the Maho Pharmacy. Much more expensive than others.
Posted By: gomer36

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 09:27 PM

Pat called out the place I always buy mine, SXM Cigars in Maho. They display the official Habanos dealer placard provided by the Cuban cigar industry to let you know they sell the real thing. Don't be afraid to haggle, especially if you're buying full boxes..they always seem to enjoy the process as much as I do, and the complimentary frosty beer while you shop is always welcome. As Pat says, very nice smoking area just outside. Have had some great conversations with Sint Maarteners over a stick and a cocktail there through the years. Just a suggestion..try a brand-name stick from the D.R. or Nicaragua. The Cohibas are excellent, and a good bit cheaper than the Habana Cohibas. The tobacco is from Cuban seed, with the soil being the big difference. Wherever you choose to buy, make sure you mention you are staying on the island. A less than scrupulous dealer will be less tempted to misrepresent what's being offered. Some friends of mine bought some "Cubans" in P'burg while on a cruise and brought some over with them to my place for a smoke...they were brutally bad knockoffs.

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 09:48 PM

Duty Free also displays the official Habanos dealer placard provided by the Cuban cigar industry to let you know they sell the real thing. I usually buy the Cohiba Robusto, Montecristco #2 and Romeo Y Julieta Wide Churchills. All three equally good smokes. THey carry others but those are my favorites.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 11:14 PM

Yes. Great shop and selection
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Cigar shops - 02/15/2022 11:15 PM

Downto my last 5 Monte #2 6 yr aged cigars. Smother enjoyable Smoke imho
Posted By: RM5 LI

Re: Cigar shops - 02/16/2022 06:07 PM

We went to SXM Cigars when we were there in June. They are located at Rhine Rd, Maho village Rhine Road, Sint Maarten. Nice store. Very friendly.
Posted By: dkupersmith

Re: Cigar shops - 02/17/2022 01:42 PM

Cigar Emporium - Front Street - Phillipsburg has a wide selection and the owner is very knowledgeable
Posted By: WILLVINO

Re: Cigar shops - 02/23/2022 07:06 AM

Carole at La Casa de el Habano is legit. She has great selection and is very friendly. We have known her for years and always stop by her store. We have also purchased at Cigar Emporium at Phillipsburg.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline