TravelTalkOnline

Insurance SXM

Posted By: islandfun2

Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 09:44 AM

When traveling to stay on the Dutch side of SXM the requirement of the travel insurance. Is that something you purchase when filling out the EHAS form? I appreciate your assistance.
Posted By: George1234

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 10:20 AM

Yes.
George
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 12:59 PM

There is required insurance yes, but it is not really TRAVEL insurance. It is supposed to cover you for the cost of medical bills and quarantine if you test positive for Covid while on island. Based on the extremely limited coverage ($125 a day) if you do test positive, it most likely will not cover even your lodging. Also SUPPOSED to cover medical evac for Covid, but the coverage is limited to $25,000, which there is no way that would cover medical evac for Covid. You purchase it as part of getting your EHAS approval. If you want travel insurance that covers anything worthlwhile, you should get your own travel insurance policy. The one through SXM is just a money grab for them, which they basically admitted as such at one point, considering they want to make it PERMANENT.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 01:10 PM

The one through SXM is just a money grab for them, which they basically admitted as such at one point, considering they want to make it PERMANENT.

And, if I recall right, they want to include some sort of "accident insurance" with this and put the price back to $30 per person per visit.

Another thing, if or when this EHAS approval thing ends, what happens to the people hired to do these jobs? I am guessing it is some sort of government job and we know how hard it is to eliminate any government employee, regardless of need or skill. Something I have been thinking about for some time now.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 01:21 PM

Like the consensus here, I highly doubt the coverage of the plan would do bupkis in the highly unlikely event one had a COVID emergency. We listen to our insurance guy and buy real trip insurance that has great coverage for emergencies, delays, and other issues, even for COVID related issues. I like the peace of mind.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 03:23 PM

Correct....smart plan
Posted By: The_Lurker

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 04:29 PM

Carol, I wonder if they are primary and pay some of the costs, before you use the insurance you buy
for peace of mind .
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 04:45 PM

Terri--I have no idea, but I personally wouldn't count on that insurance for ANYTHING. Especially now, with more people traveling, that money is just going into someone's pocket.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Insurance SXM - 03/24/2022 05:21 PM

Exactly...I just regard it as another airport tax and ignore it. Always have my own coverage
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline